Sunday 13 December 2020

Second weekend in December is the third weekend in Advent

I forgot that last weekend was Hurricane Tree update weekend. It was completely bare at the start of November so it's still waving gloriously naked branches to the thrill of the cold air, and will be doing just that for quite some merry time. We've been doing much the same thing in our swimming group, and will be doing just that for quite some merry time! My house has to go into sELF isolation for two weeks over Christmas and the New Year before a little hospital thing I have to do, so that could be the end of my winter sea adventures - not sure my courage will survive so much de-acclimatisation!
So what I'm doing does still involve as much swimming as I can fit in. Yes, it's really cold now! But the exhilaration is more than worth it. The loving acceptance of this group is pretty huge too. That has quite unexpectedly become as important as the swimming. 
What I'm also doing is being utterly absorbed in the world of sons. Their difficulties at school are myriad this year, and thankfully they are coping valiantly, most of the time. I'm finding that my coping strategies are as simple as they are difficult. Remembering to breathe very deeply at difficult times, making myself get outside to walk, and praying. Also, deliberately finding things in which to rejoice and for which to be thankful. 
I was "chatting" virtually to two very good friends last week about how you can get through most days by just doing the next thing. But, and this is my tenuous link to today's Gaudete Sunday, life is so much better if I can make the next thing, the simplest possible next thing, as beautiful and enjoyable and joyful as I can. And we've had a gorgeous weekend, with lots of simple joys. Gingerbread and candles have dominated today!
So that's what I'm doing in December: swimming for the next two weeks, finding joy in the small things, and praying as thankfully as this small human mind can. Waving my bare branches with as much exhilaration as I can!
Here's the maple that was still so gloriously clothed in at the start of November. What I'm reading, just to keep my little archive is Ali Smith's Winter (have just finished Autumn), the annual Christmas Mystery, a wee Agatha Christie sneeky short story from Mattman's Midwinter Murders anthology when he's not looking, and I'll be escaping into Winter Solstice anytime soon! Getting to the end of the Psalms. I'll miss them.
And what I'm making is still Cushla's Comfort Blanket, though it definitely at least feels like a blanket now. I'll miss it too when it's done! I gave up on the baubles for work colleagues - I'm leaving a box of oranges with a chocolate orange on the staff table instead! And I finally made the two zipped pouches - hoorah! They are all bagged up ready for my Santa run this week. I'm going to deliver everything I need to this week so that we can have our hibernation with all jobs done. 

 I do hope you've all seen our Emmanuel God and his hope, peace and joy in this Advent. And I wish you all great love as our journey to Bethlehem gets closer to its destination. Exciting! And just because our Advent season seems to be all about the videos this year, here's one I was asked to do for church!


5 comments:

M.K. said...

A chance for one bare Christmas. That's a wonderful idea. Perhaps that's the kind of Christmas intends for us.

gretchenjoanna said...

What a joyous post! I understand the exhilaration of swimming at this time of year because I think I get some of that just walking on the beach when my feet get cold, but I don't even mind, because letting my feet sink into the wet sand, with the sea water coming up to my knees at times, makes them and all of me terribly happy.

Kezzie said...

Your swimming joy is very infectious! I would LoVE to do this!
Well done on your coping strategies and helping your boys. You are definitely doing 4the right things. I have been counting the good things too.
The zippy pouch looks great and I'm sure the healthy and not so healthy orange options were really appreciated. I was going to make book marks for my colleagues with pretty punched edges and their names in calligraphy and leave them anonymously on their desks but my Covid isolation put paid to that. I will watch this video after my shower.

Lisa Richards said...

The swimming does sound invigorating!
This is the first time I've heard you speak in "real life"! Good message! I waded through the accent and found the words, lol. Yes, it's all about Jesus. Our faith needs to be in Him to bring us through whatever is ahead. The vaccine is an unknown quantity, but Jesus is faithful no matter what. I think we're all having to work at keeping our focus in the right place. And maybe it takes something bizarre like this to force some of us (like me) to do that.
God bless you and your family!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

your Harris tweed pouch reminds me...my Harris tweed notebook needs to come out and be used. I bought it during the Lake District travels whilst at Beatrix's house. (ahem. notice the familiarity? Yes, I've had tea at Beatrix Potter's house and it was bliss!)

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...