Thursday 10 December 2020

Christmas hygge


 At our Hookery Zoom last night (doesn't that have speedy and artisan connotations? Balls of yarn flying with abandon through the cold dark skies) we were making plans for our virtual Christmas party on 23rd December. Which turns out to be the night before the night before Christmas, or Christmas Eve Eve, or Christmas Adam (because Adam came before Eve*) or in fact Little Christmas, if you live in Denmark! Which we don't. Although the joys of Zoom do allow us to be in Newtownabbey and Glasgow all at the same time. 

So, Sun One came along just as I was Googling a nice picture to go alongside the Hookery facebook invitation to our Little Christmas Party (you can see how we love a pun), and to my wonder and astonishment he had never heard of hygge. What have we been doing in this house? Half an hour later, after hundreds of unbearably beautiful Scandi images, he decided that it was a middle-aged woman thing, based loosely on gnomes. I was appalled. Thankfully, as we went through the front door this morning and I declared that no, hygge wasn't a thing like the windowsill tomte or the door wreath, he did manage to grasp the abstract noun idea of a feeling or a lifestyle. Why didn't you just say that last night, he asked. I'm pretty sure I did.

All this to explain why I came across this hygge webpage this afternoon - Christmas hygge being still in the search bar and dinner being not quite ready to be cooked. It is the opening quote that I'm really very struck by this evening:

“I hope you find some time this week to get really, really quiet.  To curl up in a big cozy chair and watch a movie you’ve seen a million times before.  To hug people you love.  To wrap up in a warm blanket and read a good book. To drink hot cocoa from a Christmas mug.  To stand outside in the crisp night air and marvel at the stars. I hope you find the time this week to sit silently in front of your life and contemplate how magical it really is, before we turn the page and greet a New Year.” – Mandy Hale 

What a wonderful thing to stop and sit silently and contemplate the magic of our lives. To find joy in the small things, and the big. And to be thankful. I seem to be spending weeks drifting from one thing to the next, but I'm going to stop now, and sit silently. Just as soon as dinner is cooked...

*All credit to Hookery Miranda for the Christmas Adam. She's very clever!

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Aw! How lovely! I was thinking about how enchanted I was with the idea of hygge for a while, and this post made me think about it all over again! Are you tired of Zoom yet? I kind of am.
God be with you, good Mags.

Lisa Richards said...

A knitting lady I watch has been having some hygge videos. She lives in Norway. I do enjoy seeing everyone's ideas on the subject! Stay cozy! ;) Merry Christmas!

M.K. said...

"a middle-aged woman thing, based loosely on gnomes" -- that is HILARIOUS, and I laughed pretty hard :)
Thank you for that quote about hygge. We need to be reminded to be thankful this year, because we all assume 2020 has nothing in it of blessing, nothing to be thankful for. The year to be forgotten and shunned. But we are blessed compared to many. I agree about finding a spot to be very still, very quiet. That's good advice, and I need to do it too.

Kezzie said...

"middle-aged woman thing, based loosely on gnomes"- I'm snorting with laughter. Though you've just made me realise That, two months away from my 40th birthday, that I am MIDDLE AGED!!! Noo, I'm 12 in my head!!!
I love the idea of Hygge. Definitely reading a book with a cup of tea!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...