Monday 4 January 2021

Well done, world

Not that I have any right in the wide wonderful world to congratulate it, but I do think we should at least pat ourselves on the back. We're still here, still surviving physically, emotionally, spiritually. That may be by the skin of our teeth, like here, but thus far, fine blogging friends, thus far.

I'm spending a day of self-isolation in my bedroom so I am going to spend the afternoon reading all your Christmas adventures and perspectives. Perspective is the first casuality in many of my crises. It's a good thing to have such a range of life lenses here in Blogland. 

My view on 2020 is that we did our best, we did what we were told, and we helped where we could. The difficulties that we encountered were not directly covid-related, but the circumstances did perhaps exacerbate the situation.  I found it even harder than usual to say truthfully that the joy of the Lord was my strength, but I did try to hold on. I love it when friends remind me that none of this is news to God and that He is still on the throne. Maybe my holding on isn't the important thing in this.

I do have two "resolutions" for 2021. The first one is slightly random: I am going to stop (mostly) using biros and switch to sharpened pencils. Ages ago I saw a school in France who had banned bics, which seemed potentially treasonable given that Bic is French. They used the old plastic casings to plant seeds, and just used pencils to write, putting the sharpenings in the compost. Zero waste!

And as I read to the end of the Psalms at the end of the year, I got to this: Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10. Not really a resolution, more a prayer. Maybe that's the lesson. It's always very basic here with me.

So, well done, Blogworld. May God's good Spirit lead you on level ground in 2021, and if it does get bumpy - God go with you still.

What I'm reading: a friend from church bought me this daily devotional which I am finding challenging but timely. It takes Bible prayers and arranges them as a guide for daily prayer times. It certainly helps with the perspective question. I finished Ali Smith's Winter last night, and think I got a bit closer to understanding the head of stone. Next up is the hilarious Richard Osman's first, and so far best, novel (his words) "The Thursday Murder Club". Let me know if you'd like to read it too, and I'll send you it when I'm done. 

What I'm making: I am now just over half way through Cushla's Comfort blanket! Hooray! So all other projects are on hold. Full steam ahead.

What I'm doing: Well, I hope you'll not be disappointed when I say that the sea swimming is also on hold. Our tight Lockdown means that group exercise is out of bounds for a while. We can meet outside (not in a private garden) in groups of up to 15, but not exercise, and I'm too chicken to break the guidelines. Ah, but Mags, you might say, you could swim with PC on coastguard patrol. I could. But I haven't! Bit too scared to get in the water by myself. 

I'm sure it might be the same near you, but a quiet walk out is pretty impossible round here with all the footpaths and parks completely bunged with folk. So I don't even want to walk along to the slipway.

I am about to submit my second assignment for my course as well, which feels miraculous after the last month.

And here's a doing and reading thing: MK posted about a reading challenge for the New Year. I'm far too aware of my limitations to commit to joining in properly, but there are some really interesting suggestions in there. So, I'm going to get my hands on a copy of Cymbeline. One of MK's genres is a Shakespeare play. This one is quoted in "Winter" so it's in my head, I've never read it before, and why not?

MK also talked about having one "reading day" a week where you have no screen activity, just reading. Today is not turning out to be that day, but maybe tomorrow...

I'll leave you with what turned out to be the only occurrence of Christmas baking in our house, except for the Christmas cake back in November. I made jammy stars for New Year's Eve. Prince Charming was most delighted. We had them with jelly and ice-cream for our dinner party dessert. Prince Charming had decreed that we get all dressed up for New Year. It was all as fancy as Bridgerton and significantly more wholesome. If you're thinking of watching Netflix's new Downton, don't. It's not Downton. It starts interestingly enough and it is certainly gorgeous to the eye. But the script is just a bit too cringe-worthy as episodes progress and once you've seen Episode 5 you can't unsee. We are feeling a bit bereft on the watching front now that we've got to the end of The Crown's fourth series. And it was a bleak enough thing to relive.


The dinner party was not quite as fancy as planned because I had made an absolute howler of a mistake with my grocery delivery. All the lovely New Year's Eve fare was put into tomorrow's order. Last week's driver left three loaves of bread on the doorstep. Not even any proverbial fish. So yes, the week where I am self-isolating has been spent making do with what we had in the fridge and freezer, in true Pandemic Style, and all has been well. As mad, old Julian said, all will be well, all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. Except that sometimes they're not well at all, and in that case we'll just have to keep going anyway. 

None of this is new to God, and He is still on the throne x
 

7 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

Mags, is there something "jammy" about those stars as they are pictured on the cooling rack? Or are they called that only because they sit at the top of a stack of sweets with jam as a base...? I am hoping to bake my "Christmas cookies" today, on the 11th Day. :-)

If you need any encouragement toward using pencils, check out Mary Norris's Between You and Me, which convinced me to use pencils for the sheer joy and beauty of them. I think you'd like the book for various reasons. She's funny, and it's very literary in a very enjoyable way.

gretchenjoanna said...

Actually, it's the 10th Day. I was mixed up, as usual, about our time difference, and making it more than it is. It still might be the 11th Day by the time I get these cookies out of the oven!!

Pom Pom said...

I ordered Kenneth Boa's work you mention. I do like his stuff.
I ordered Mary Norton's book that GJ tells of, too! I do love The Borrowers and I'm thinking it's the same person. She was a crafty writer! I have the BEST pencils called Mitsu-Bishi. They write like a dream! I have been listening to and reading Elisabeth Elliot. So good. Her talks are online at elisabethelliotfoundation.org.
The Lord is near. YAY!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, it's Mary Norris (The Comma Queen) not Mary Norton. Oh well. It's good and interesting - about the New Yorker. xo

M.K. said...

Oh, dear heart! What a wonderful post! You are so stalwart. I LOVE the idea of doing prayer instead of resolutions. I've never been any good at resolutions anyway, and gave up on them years ago.
The reading challenge has been, shockingly, a success so far! I really got myself into a reading slump of all slumps for a few years, but somehow I think I am coming out of it, and this list is helping. Like you, if I simply cannot DO one of the categories, I will dump it. I don't like tyrannical lists like that.
We are not doing quite so well here as perhaps you are there. Adam and I have tried to do our best, be compliant, and help where we can. But so many Americans have NOT done that, and are making matters insanely worse. It's been so stressful here. All the political stuff is tying my tummy in knots.
Much love to you and yours! Stay warm and safe in the room of yours.

Kezzie said...

God is on the throne indeed!
I loved reading about your Christmas and New year.
I agree that Bridgerton is very cringy- I am trying to think what happenened in episode 5 but I guess I can imagine!
The Jammy stars look wonderful and I wish we could see your new year finery! I bet it was lovely.
Sorry to hear that your shopping didn't arrive though! aghrgh!GHGH
Also sorry to hear the sea swimming is not happening!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Woefully behind as I had no idea there was a "new" Downton and haven't finished watching the "old" one. I'm also still using my 30'ish year old Waterman fountain pens along with antique, although I suppose vintage is more polite, stationary for letter and note writing.
It would be lovely to read the 31 blessed devotional but my copy seems to have gone astray.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...