Friday 5 November 2021

We read to know we are not alone

 Did C. S. Lewis really say this? I think it's a line in Shadowlands, but you know how it is with all those quotes you read on social media. I'm never sure if they were in fact uttered by the folk to whom they are attributed! Well, Jolly and I are reading quietly tonight together. I didn't see much of him earlier because I was running many many errands after school. He did say that he caught the train into town at lunchtime. So here we are, lying around the house tonight, chatting about all our favourite winter reads.

I brought out this book for Jolly to see. He hasn't put it down! He spent ages poring over the pictures of the postman on his bike. Pom Pom reminded me of how much Jolly loves to cycle. Greta would be very pleased with him. I'm sorry that she's so disappointed with COP26. We all need to have some hope that we can be better stewards of our world and of each other. Jo also loves to cycle but has a flat tyre just now, otherwise he would have taken Jolly off along the cycle path.

The book is full of cards and letters and games and puzzles that you can take out of the envelopes and read or play with. We had fun timing ourselves at putting poor Humpty together again. Who needs all the king's men?
I thought Jolly was going to fall into the last beautiful scene. I think he is properly ready to go home now. He has just nipped upstairs to finish his packing. Although I'm sure I just heard him on the phone under the stairs.
So, tomorrow Jolly will be taking to the high, dark skies over that wide Atlantic Ocean. I'm glad that he's flying back in November. If he stays awake I'm sure he'll see a wonderful sunset and sunrise. Hopefully he might even be home in time for Thanksgiving, which is just not a thing here all - us not having any Pilgrim Fathers. (Because my phone is currently held together with Sellotape and hilarity, you'll not make out that the sign on the tree points 'Home' due to blurriness of the photos to which you are subjected this evening...)
We were in the Highlands of Scotland last week for half-term. Maybe I'll tell you about that next week after Jolly goes, since he has dragged me back into the blogosphere. We met a friend of the friends with whom we were staying who posts absolutely gorgeous sixty second sermons from his virtual platform. (Look for Fullarton Connexions on Farcebook.) A lot of the time he stops and chats from one of his many cycle rides through the Scottish hills. Jolly loves them. Ryan is also in this Tearfund Scotland video about COP26 which you might be able to see if you're a Farcebook user yourself!

Last day with Jolly tomorrow. I have to say, it's lovely being back with you all, reading to know I am not alone x

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

You have made me curious. In hunting around, I found this right away:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2017/november-web-only/top-10-misquoted-lines-from-cs-lewis.html

But I'm going to keep looking! I hate that people do this sloppy and/or dishonest attribution, and I also do not want to continue the traditions that they start.

M.K. said...

You are not at all alone! And it is delightful to chat with you again here. I say this to myself as much as to you: don't be a stranger on ye olde blogges!! I need to post more. It's been fun to find you here.
Jolly's book looks so wonderful. I've never owned a Jolly the Postman book. I do hope his travel home is uneventful. Airlines are cancelling flights all over, it seems. Safe travels, Jolly! Now, to go find that 60-second preacher.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

It's not the COP26 I object to, it's all the private jet planes folks are taking to talk about climate control.
It seems brutally, hilariously hypocritical.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...