Monday 15 March 2021

My sun and my moon

When I started blogging I called the sons "suns" - high octane stars burning with energy and heat! I am sitting here this morning, basking in front room sunlight and trying to say some prayers, and it strikes me that what I in fact have are a sun and a moon.

All three of us will be back to school next week. So this week feels poignant and precious. The last year has painfully illustrated the ways in which both my stars have been deeply unhappy in school, for reasons that are different but connected. Jo*, definitely a sun, has always needed to be outside, his bright blond head bobbing through surf, carving along bike trails, everything fast and furious. We refer to him here as The Force of Nature and when he asks what his gift is, I always just say, "Life". And he so wants to please and be known for himself, not just for Mattman's younger brother. 

Mattman* is, I think, my moon. Silver haired, quiet, loving late nights watching (and discussing!) deep and complex movies. Where he is in relation to the difficulties he has with horrible people in school does in fact control the tides of this house. But his gift of wisdom was very clear even when he was a very small little man. He has insight that often pulls me up short. He sees very clearly where his schools have failed to help him, and is looking forward to his gap year with all sorts of expectations.

I'm trying not to dread next week's return and what it sends them both back into - lurking in the dense forest of assessments that they have entered today, now that the external exams have been cancelled. And I'm telling you this because I suppose I want to share the encouragement that I get from this app* when I don't know how to pray and can only ask forgiveness for my lack of belief. Pray as you go is gentle and still and very Godly.

This was today's reading from Isaiah 65. I'd recommend this morning's reflection. It's very lovely, and I suppose for me it's the same encouragement as last week's Micah passage:  the challenge to hold faith in God's future. The idea that there could yet be joy and delight for my sun and my moon* is wonderful, like the wonders of Micah 7 on the other side of the forest. The Pray as you go reflection from 10th March quoted Isaiah 50: "I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. Because the Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame."* And maybe one day even these former things will not be remembered, like the men who came out of the fiery furnace with not even the smell of fire on them.

Can I just thank all of you who have so openly and honestly shared your family stories* here in the Land of Blog? You have been a significant encouragement to this struggling mum. It is good to see God's faithfulness in real lives*.

So there we are, this week will hopefully be a time when we can slowly accustom our minds to The Great Return. I'm hoping we can have flint faces and joyful, faith-full hearts all at the same time. And I wish you all a gentle and faith-full week, with bursts of sunshine* and daffodils* and joy* x

You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me.

(*up to 894 of years' worth of 1000 things for which to give thanks!)


4 comments:

M.K. said...

Hi, dear Mags. My heart goes out to you and your boys as you step back into a difficult world. I've heard several other moms say similar things -- about how it was a hard Covid year, but there were big points of wonder, and they will dearly miss their time at home and their time with their children especially. You love your boys with huge, mommy love! They know that, and it will strengthen their hearts. And there are many, many years for things to improve. Those teen years are brutal for so many -- I think trauma is the norm between 12 and 18, but most come out and carve a forward path and the suffering goes a long way to helping them understand who they are at an early age. Self-knowledge, and self-acceptance, are wonderful traits in the young person.

Pom Pom said...

Our Savior said, "My kingdom is not of this world." What an encouragement. I pray the return is okay, workable, and that the suns learn about the Kingdom.
That nine and a half years I taught, I really felt the sad oppression. I just couldn't get by the dark sadness of lost voices . . .
We pray. We pray. Love you, dear one.

Pam said...

Oh, it's hard being a mum, isn't it? So (relatively) easy when they're at home but so worrying when they go out into the world. And when they leave for good, it's fairly awful! But you're so lovely and philosophical - you'll cope - and I'm sure you've given them the skills to cope too.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

I love how you've described the boys; they are all that and more, as are you and Prince Charming. do you know this song? it's a favorite:
Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.
Refrain:
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin!
Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
Dark is the stain that we cannot hide;
What can we do to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
Brighter than snow you may be today.
Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see His face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?"
As you give grace to others, remember also to give grace to yourself.
love and prayers, Sandra

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...