Thursday 29 October 2020

Pumpkin Pie in a Glass

 

My crochet (and knitting and many other things) group, Hookery, has been meeting on Zoom since just before the Lockdown in Spring. We're all of us carers or vulnerable, or both, so the opportunity to continue in virtual togetherness has worked well. There are lots of advantages: reduced driving around and burning petrol, faraway folk being able to join in, and now and not very often again you can have something more alcoholic than tea! Last night we decided to have a party night with the optional components of suitable attire and pumpkin cocktails. I found this website, obviously from the US where the Great Pumpkin has its rightful place, and decided to follow some of its ingredients to recreate pumpkin pie in a glass. So here, with all credit to Eater website, is a rare recipe from fraise:

I carved out a very little pumpkin and steamed the flesh until it was soft.


While the pumpkin was steaming I whisked the white of one egg until it was stiff, and whisked in 2 dessert spoons of caster sugar until it was all the consistency of uncooked meringues. Then I whisked in half a teaspoon each of ground nutmeg and cinnamon.


I blended the pumpkin flesh with a generous dollop of maple syrup and enough apple juice to make the mixture drinkable but still very thick. You could stop right here, but I did admittedly add 25cl of spiced rum. (Other brands are surely available, but this is Prince Charming's bottle from the special cupboard.) I'm not at all a rum drinker, but it did go perfectly with the maple syrup and spices.

I kept the egg and pumpkin mixtures separately in the fridge while I scurried off to find a black dress and red lipstick for the first time in seven months. I lit my string of pumpkin lights, lit my little pumpkin, and assembled my cocktail with the pumpkin mixture oozing first into the glass, then the egg white mixture resting deliciously on top. I did have a straw, but ended up slurping it with a silver spoon. This is an incredible treat for pumpkin times, and would be a very lovely little dessert in cups or small glasses at the weekend. It tastes just like pumpkin pie, and since we're about to carve our two Great Pumpkins I think that's what I might just make next.

5 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

WOW! What a treat -- I'm going to just print off your post as is, maybe shrinking a photo or two, and then I will have it ready. I have a special French pumpkin on my doorstep and I see it needs to get out of the sun and be cooked soon. I'll be ready! (I might not do the red lipstick, and will likely Drink Alone.)

M.K. said...

Ooo - that sounds delectable, Mags! yummy. I wonder - would it work as well with canned pumpkin? Do you have canned pumpkin over there? It's what we use to make pumpkin pie generally, because cooking a real pumpkin is so much work, etc. And we can also buy big cans of pumpkin pie filling, which is pre-spiced and ready to cook, I suppose. I never buy that.

gretchenjoanna said...

I bought some (Libby's) pumpkin pie mix recently for the first time, because it was on sale and I thought I could use it for something. But what I like best is eating pumpkin out of the can, maybe with a little date sugar on it. The pumpkin pie mix was so WET. Ugh. A friend told me that Trader Joe's canned pumpkin is the thickest, and I found out this week that she is right. It has a sweet and smooth flavor, too.

I must send this comment to M.K. directly because she might not see it otherwise...

Kezzie said...

This is very impressive!!!!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

how did your men like the red lipstick and black dress?

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...