Sunday 1 March 2020

Lent #1

Ang is hosting Lenten thinkers again this year. A few Lents ago I really felt, even after years of professing faith, that I didn't have any true understanding of Easter. Outside of the story and the theology, I mean. I wanted it to be real to me. What was it about? By Easter I knew that it was about me. About you. About all of us. Laying it all down at that horrific cross, because that's where our love and life start.

I think that year was the one after That was the same year I did Outside Tea in Lent where I drank a cup of tea outside (nearly) every day in Lent and spent Easter on strong antibiotics against an absolutely miserable chest infection!

Then there was the Lent of Rend music. That was a good one.

So: I have been wondering about Lent this year. I always love reading Dormouse's challenges, and I'm trying to keep abreast of those through her. But I'm grateful for Ang's words too this year, the "benefit of Lent is that it gives a person time to reflect on their lifestyle, and consider what changes would be good and right for them. For 40 days - or maybe for ever after."

You know me; Ebenezers are the thing. The big stone raised up by Samuel to remember that, "Thus far the Lord has helped us". So I'm raising Ebenezers, because the stormy weather here shows no sign of abating and neither do the storms of Life with Boys and the rest, so I want to pray my way through Lent, pray without ceasing, thank without flinching, and remember without doubting. That's what I would like to do for 40 days, and maybe for ever after.

I'm also going to eat lots of hot cross buns, and buy lots of tulips. Because those are my two favourite things at this time of year. And you can still do those when Outside and Inside are blowing a gale. Here's hoping that March really will come in like a lion and out like a (paschal) lamb.

Lenten blessings be yours (with hot cross buns and tulips) x

6 comments:

Angela said...

I remember the OutsideTeaLent! I thought of you dThe Men at church this morning. We sang Build Your Kingdom Here - I remember you introducing me to Rend all those years ago, before they were Big Names on the Christian Music Scene. Lent means very little if it is not personal. May your Lent be blessed and full of tulips & buns xx

M.K. said...

Thanks, Mags. Being a life-long Presbyterian, I've always struggled with what to DO (or not do) during Lent. It wasn't a tradition I grew up with, so each year I'm rather at a loss. I don't like things to be rigid: "you must do this every day!" or "you mustn't do this at all!" kind of thinking, so I'll have to ponder how to make these days different, a reminder. I think I began to know that Easter was real to me -- that I understood it truly -- when it began to make me cry. We will have a Seder Supper at our church on Maundy Thursday. I always love that.

Pom Pom said...

Oh so good, dear Mags. Hot cross buns, huh? YUMMY! Also tulip buying is a top notch plan!

Pam said...

And to you. (Ours is currently a bit awful because lovely daughter Laura is currently miscarrying in London - horrible to be so far away from her. This is her second miscarriage, though she did have lovely little Astrid in between. Big sigh.)

Kezzie said...

I like that! Concentrating on praying your way through Lent!!

Andrea Charles said...

Mags, so cute of you to share the Lent memories. "or maybe for ever after" so deep and profound these lines are. "it gives a person time to reflect on their lifestyle, and consider what changes would be good and right for them" thank you for writing this, prayers for you, stay blessed!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...