Wednesday 2 October 2019

The Enormous Turnip (Pumpkin)

 Everything seems to come down to fairy tales at the minute here! This week I've been remembering one of my very favourite stories from when the strawberries were really very small indeed. We loved the repetition of the list and the final triumph and joy. Why I remembered this one this week was this:
I had promised myself that I would buy the very first pumpkin that I saw this year, not really expecting to find it on the 27th September! Usually they only appear in supermarkets here for Hallowe'en and you need to buy one before they all sell out. But they are never quite as beautiful, or as huge, as this sublime specimen! This is the most wonderful pumpkin I have ever had. It is hugely enormous, and just as perfect. It makes me ridiculously happy. And it was the smallest of the three sitting proudly outside the grocer's shop last Friday!

It has given us lots of pumpkin curry, lots of pumpkin soup and a tray of pumpkin seeds, which I burned. Oops. And you can see from the carving that in fact it could have yielded still more, had I not been worn out from scooping and watching the clock for last night's boy activity taxi run.

Raggedy Elf #2 was fifteen today. When I first started blogging he was pre-school and waddling out the front door of Strawberry Land in his father's too big shoes. I seem to have said, back then in 2009, that I caught a glimpse of what he would be. I think I'm still only cathing glimpses...
Happy Birthday, young man of mine. And happy October to us all. Autumn must surely be the season for which blogging was invented. And in the northern hemisphere, it's here!


4 comments:

M.K. said...

It was fun to click over and see your little boy all those years ago. Aren't blog posts a lovely way to keep memories? Your pumpkin is great!!

Lisa Richards said...

So cute to see him walking out the door! But also alarming how quickly things change. Glad you're deriving such joy from that pumpkin! Happy autumn over there!

Pam said...

Oh, happy birthday to young Strawberry. Time flies.

Do come and visit again if you're coming to Edinburgh! I'll take you to the Botanics!!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Happy Birthday kiddo! Here's to another grand trip around the sun! With love and prayers, your American Granny.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...