Wednesday 22 August 2018

The Hair Project


Well, here I am on my first school night of the real New Year! My lunch is made, my clothes are ironed (if not entirely dry, yet), and I know where my school bag is and I'm pretty sure my school key is in the bag and if not, sure I might not need it tomorrow anyway...

Above we have the results of this summer's Grow Your Hair project. Mattman loves his hair long. His school however requires hair to be above the collar. Always a sad day when it has to go! He does have a very sympathetic hairdresser who spends the whole time muttering about schools and their impact on individuality. I think you sign up to these things in full understanding when you take the place! There is however a school nearby that allows sixth years not only to grow their hair, but also their beards. Not that either of my blond(ish) boys will have to worry too much about that!

I knew that Mattman has been just that bit taller than me for a while now, but it was interesting to see the evidence this morning! I didn't realise before just how similar our hair colour is. They're funny young men, my two. I have ignored all recent articles on Radio 4 about screen time this summer and allowed them to fry their brains utterly on the Goldbergs and Sheldon and How I Met Your Mother and that ridiculous dance thing. Not to mention the Evil Box and Fortnite. That said, they have without complaint, question or concern mopped floors, emptied the dishwasher, cooked meals and ploughed through school revision booklets when asked, so maybe they know themselves that screen time has its limits.

And so to bed. Must set an alarm. Are there batteries for the alarm clock? Will there be traffic in the morning? Who will I sit beside at Break? Where did I put my school mug...

6 comments:

M.K. said...

Oh boy, Mags!!! Better you than me :) Their hair looks so nice. It's a shame to cut it. I wish Matt could just put his up in a man-bun, and then it would be way above his collar. Ah well. Summer is over, and they will always remember it as the Summer of Hair!!

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

I believe the rushing noise was summer flashing by...can you believe it's already time for school?! School began a couple of weeks ago in my county and the stores have been absolutely MAD with parents and children and their school lists. Teachers make lists, place them in the stores and children must show up with whatever is on the list. I can remember when I had a lunch box and pencil...LOL!
Enjoy your first day...all of you...God speed and be safe. XO

Kezzie said...

Both your hair is very nice- a pretty colour! How old is he now!? I like boys with long hair like this. I don't think we have a rule at my school.
I'm glad that your boys have helped out as well as frying their brains!

Gumbo Lily said...

Those boys have some nice hair. It'll look good at the collar too! Wishing you happy school days ahead!

Lisa Richards said...

I hope little Mags finds someone to sit by at break!
Here's another vote for long-haired boys. :)
I'm impressed with how helpful your boys are. When I babysit the grands, I must admit, I let them fry their brains with their iPads...a lot. It's either them or me. Survival is the goal. :)
Thinking good thoughts for you as you get back into the school groove!

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, Mags, I hope the first day went well!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...