Sunday 31 December 2017

The Last Book of the Year

 I was determined to get to twenty-four books by the end of this month- surely it is possible, even in this uncomfortably hot sandwich time of life, to read two books a month?! So, in the interests of both speed and relevance, I reached a few nights ago for this Platonic ideal of a Christmas book.


We are having a wonderful Christmas break, with just the right balance between exciting things and time quiet at home, or indeed long mornings in bed! We have been up a misty, snowy mountain, into town with sales shoppers, to the cinema to see Voldemort and Professor Snape try their hand at the Star Wars genre for a little change, and have cooked and cooked and fed and fed.


Already feeling alarmed that this time, even this time, will pass, I dearly want to hold on to Scrooge's resolution (in the absence of any others) that, "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."
We had a wonderful sermon this morning, from three passages at the start of Luke- passages where different characters from the Nativity narrative are told not to be afraid. If I had two resolutions for whatever shall unfold next year, this would be the second!

Apparently, as farcebook said last week so it must be true, an old Irish tradition is to light a candle in the window on Christmas Eve to promise hospitality to the traveller. Always late, I'm lighting my unlit Advent candles tonight. They are a pale imitation of that bright moon shining beyond the pane, but they reflect our desire to shine what light we can here where we are. You are always welcome! May you know God's blessing and light in your heart, and all the year, with much love from the Meadowplace,

Mags and men x 

6 comments:

Sandra said...

As a blessed recipient of your hospitality, I can heartily recommend it! Mags, the Happiest of Christmasses (although there are those who say this is incorrect spelling) and safest of New Year's to you and your men.
This Holy Season has been warmer, brighter, more lovely or so it seems to me. The first in this new Home has been splendid and I've long thought of family and friends, close and distant, as well as those gone ahead.
God blessed me with the gift of you, Mags, and your men.
I am forever grateful. Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm

Angela said...

Blessings to you and yours - we speak of you often and wish we were nearer. God bless you and all your dear ones in the year ahead xx

M.K. said...

What a sweet and generous post, Mags! I love your candlelight, bravely in the window to everyone. I've noticed that "Do not be afraid!!" line that angels seem always, always to have to say to anybody they appear to -- surely that indicates that angels are naturally scary to humans, right? Like you, I long to be unafraid in the face of a new year. May we be courageous, my friend.

Lisa Richards said...

God bless you, every one! I love the candle in the window tradition!

Fat Dormouse said...

For me the not being afraid is the biggie for this year. "For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says "Do not fear; I will help you""

May God bless you and yours, dear Mags.

ellen b said...

Lovely thoughts and encouragement for the new year. May God bless you and yours dearly in 2018.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...