Thursday 11 July 2013

IOU Views from my Windows

There will be photos when I can sort out the technology! This week our views are from a converted barn in a beautiful Cumbrian valley. From the front of our floor, which is actually the back of the barn, we can only see the sheer rise of a little garden that is the base of Brackenrigg. From the living area window (which is the winnowing window) we are looking across the field where the boys play with Tig the dog to the low summits of High Rigg and Low Rigg with the Helvellyn range behind. Yes, I know!

The barn dates from around 1850 and is a bank barn- built into the fell to allow level access to both floors. We're living very comfortably on the threshing floor, complete with slit windows and owl perch. The winnowing window's job was to allow a through draught to help with separating the wheat and the chaff. I think we're still working on that one.

When the photos come there will also be the view from the climbing wall- its huge doors open tonight because of the heat and revealing the Skiddaw range as you climb, or belay in my case! And then there's the view of sunset over Skiddaw from the car window. It's a good week for views in the Land of Potter!

3 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I look forward to it.
Jane x

The dB family said...

Based on what you've written, I'm sure I am not going to be disappointed! I too look forward to the pics!

Blessings!
Deborah

Gumbo Lily said...

Sounds just wonderful!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...