Sunday 7 October 2012

Weekend Experiments

 
I spent most of yesterday at a course on making Romans blind; sorry, Roman Blinds. Contrary to Bob Almond's belief, I did not stick men from antiquity in the eye with sewing machine needles for six hours. Though my back might not have been quite so sore if I had.

Four of us were expertly sequenced through the measuring, ironing, folding, ironing, pinning. ironing, pleating, ironing and even sewing stages of getting the lining onto the fabric.  It's Mise's fabric, by the way, finally in use!  And gorgeous stuff it is to work with too.  I have some slip-stitching to finish at home, and then I shall go back to learn how my wood and metal work should advance.  Thankfully I'll not have to carry my sewing machine up four flights of stairs that night!
Today I realised that making crumble alongside a now very able eight year old is not the same thing at all as standing in merry control beside his younger self.  Here are the bits I was allowed to do- fruit preparation!  The three unpeeled apples are this year's sum harvest from our little tree. The peeled one is more exciting. It was foraged from a secret house that we found down a secret lane just round the corner from us. We did have permission to be there!  Jo's Secret Crumble is very good!


9 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

I so admire your courage and even interest to learn a new skill and craft, one that sounds quite intimidating to me. The fabric does look lovely.

It does seem to be crisp time....but I must instead do something like slow-roasted cherry tomatoes, as I have no apples and a hundred tomatoes!

Gill - That British Woman said...

love the material and would love to take a course to make Roman Blinds.

Gill

Pom Pom said...

Hooray for the shade! Can I have some of that crumble?

Fat Dormouse said...

Well done for your making Romans blind. I am not that kind of crafty at all, so I stand in awe. And the apple crumble does indeed look very good.

Have a lovely week, Mags!

Angela said...

Ignore his jokes. I usually do!
Crumble looks great - cannot wait to see blinds hanging at window!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Lovely fabric! I tried to make roman blinds once, but was unsuccessful, I fear. I love how they look, though. Good work, you!

xofrances

Pam said...

Good for you. I can manage curtains but Roman blinds might be a bit technical for me...

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Mags, well done! It's quite impressive, you making beautiful Roman Blinds...very impressive!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Well done with the blinds. Lovely that you have treasured your three little apples and given them a great finale to their rosy lives in the form of a crumble. Isn't it the best when you can eat something you have grown. Betty

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...