Sunday 17 April 2011

Last Pause in Lent

So off set Cooking Catherine and I on Wednesday morning. Only half an hour later than we should have done to be there on time! There had been one sick child, one sick car, and one very sleeping-in me to contend with so that wasn't bad...

It was also the perfect introduction to the first section of the retreat day- well underway when we were ushered quietly in! Intentional Living- not stopping for any distraction on the path to the goal. Not settling into any stage other than transition. Setting our faces resolutely to Jersusalem, as He did, and becoming covered in the dust of our rabbi as we go.

The main wake-up call for me came in the idea of the Big Picture. Catherine and I had been laughing on the long drive up about how obsessed with your children you get. She thinks that I keep the Big Picture. I know that I don't- loving to talk about it isn't quite the same thing, methinks! Anyway, I was trying to draw this in my Lent journal in the first "quiet time". Then later, after we had laid tear drops prayers on the paper cross, I noticed that someone had written a prayer for those who have lost the big picture!

So as Holy Week begins, and I contemplate making an Easter picture day by day this week with suns, maybe, we could start with palm trees and dusty roads and see whose perspective we'll want to see with as we go.

Made with our crafty rector in Children's Church today- thanks, Arlene!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you.

We so often tied up in our small view that it is hard to remember that God has a much wider perspective, and sees so much more than we do.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Looking forward to seeing your Easter picture - I am spending Easter visiting a different church for one service and my own for one at a time I don't usually attend! that's my way of keeping sight of the bigger picture - not getting too familiar with routine, ritual, etc. Blessings to you and your family - I really enjoy your posts. Bettyx

Pom Pom said...

Hi, Mags!
What a lovely post. It makes my heart happy thinking of you and Cooking Catherine driving up to the retreat together, laughing and connecting. That's good stuff!

GretchenJoanna said...

Are you going to share the prayer that someone wrote? That's what I need...
Mr. Bell's little sermon was really good, giving me a vision of being a disciple -- until the conclusion, which I didn't think was conducive to humility. I can't hope to be at all like my Rabbi unless I am filled with His Holy Spirit, which I've never gathered comes from having faith in myself.
And those glimpses of the neighbor shoveling her driveway...I thought he would go down and help her. Toward the close of his talk he did go outside, and I thought, "Oh, no! He's going to help her with the last two feet, after she did the whole thing." But then he picked up his paper and didn't look at her. Maybe that was a subtle lesson in how *not* to be...I am probably just dense.
I thought maybe the prayer was in the link, which is why I looked. :-)
Thanks, Mags, and a blessed Holy Week, dear one!

Gumbo Lily said...

Happy Holy Week!
Jody

Floss said...

The retreat sounds just right. I think that what you're saying here is what I was trying to say too - I need more Lent! I haven't quite grasped the Big Picture yet but it's coming! So hurray for Holy Week.

Angela said...

Absolutely! I like the idea of teardrop prayers

Fat Dormouse said...

Thank you for your posts during Lent - I've not always commented but I have read them & found them valuable.
May you & your family be blessed this Easter.

Jenny said...

Thank you for this lovely post. I like the way you see the world.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...