Wednesday 13 October 2010

Onion Marmalade


This recipe came to me at the weekend from the repertoire of the Amazing Cooking Catherine who has it from the Julia Child of Ireland- Darina Allen.

2oz butter
1 1/2 lb onions- thinly sliced
5 oz caster sugar (I used light brown, because I try not to do refined until it's white)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
7 tbsp sherry vinegar (I only had cider vinegar)
9 fl oz red wine
2 tbsp creme de cassis (great supermarket helpful lovely man very late at night!)

Melt the butter until it is nut brown, toss in the onions and the sugar; add salt and pepper; stir well. Cover and cook for 30 minutes over a gentle heat, stirring from time to time with a wooden spatula. Just time to do some ironing! Add vinegar, red wine and creme de cassis. Cook for 30 minutes uncovered, stirring regularly. Time to do slightly less ironing!

I am now looking out for little jars and thinking that this could have Christmas gift potential. At least, that is what I would be thinking if it was November. Official Strawberry Land point of thinking about Christmas. Not before! Unless it's Darina Allen...

4 comments:

Angela said...

Ooh! I just got given a load of onions. And I got some cassis in Lidl very cheaply the other month. I shall have to try this one. All I need is red wine! Thanks [aren't Darina and Rachel Allen such splendid cooks?]

Emily T. Thomas said...

Looks delish! now all you need is to get the little ones to do the stirring for you - and they're on their way to being cooks!!
LIB

Gumbo Lily said...

Do tell how you will use the onion marmalade. I love anything onion. Will it go on broiled toast or in salads? I'm curious.

Jody

littlequeenie said...

Looks gorgeous!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...