Sunday 16 May 2010

Finally!


You can forgive the use of what are still "bad words" in this house when juxtaposed with words like "ethereal" and "tangible". There is a mad genius to Roald Dahl, quite apart from the awed fascination with fictitious cruelty that he knows children have!

The strawberries didn't blink an eye at pupils launched into orbit over the school fence, or ears stretched in a prolonged class test! Maybe the fact that it all comes via the DVD version makes that happen. Although they did sit bolt upright at the accounts of Matilda outwitting the Dad at the start- I'm encouraged that they felt such treatment of a parent might be just a step too far! And now that I think about it, in August Jo did ask if there would be a Chokey in his new school!

It has taken us three and a half months to read this chapter book. It felt like longer! Time now to admit to myself that I have lost The Magician's Nephew, buy a new copy (so that Prince Charming's childhood complete set be not lacking- I know...), and finally find out what happens to Digory and Polly at the end...

1 comment:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I loved reading the chapter books. My favorites were all the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, The Great Brain books, The Indian in the Cupboard, and yes, The Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Twits. One of my students did her multigenre project on Dahl. I'll take some pictures of it for you. She was rereading Matilda as she went along.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...