Monday 19 November 2012

Paths that cross

 Dear Deborah,

I went to the post office to post your book today,and the most interesting thing happened.  It was so interesting that I have decided that this must have been the reason why I didn't get around to posting you your book for a whole year, and why I'd only been given a few hours in school today, instead of a much more lucrative full timetable.

There was a lady in front of me in the queue. She was very busy with lots of parcels and children, and said that I should go in front of her. Now she was speaking English, but I was sure it was with a French accent. I thanked her and went to the desk, put your envelope on the scales, and told the post mistress that it was for Canada. "Are you Canadian?! asked the lady with the children. "No," I replied, "Are you?"  When she said that she was I was sure that she was French Canadian, but how do you suddenly launch into a probe in the middle of the post office queue?

So she went on- our post office is at the back of the general shop in the village. I sent your parcel on its merry way- maybe you'll get it in time for merry ways?- and then went round a corner to buy some butter. And who should I meet but the Canadian mum?  So, I took a deep breath and asked her if she was indeed French Canadian. Ten minutes later, most of which had been in French, I had discovered that her husband was on secondment to the Belfast factory of the the French Canadian company for which Prince Charming works, that her son is the same age as my younger son, and that she would love to exchange mobile numbers.

So thanks to your most belated winter book, we will all be getting together for coffee chez eux on Saturday afternoon.  You jut never know who you'll bump into in the Forest of Toon!  Here's little reminder of the book. I'm sure you have no memory of it at all!  I'll be watching your wonderful blog now for a review of a scary winter's tale!

5 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

No such thing as coincidence!
Jane x

Gumbo Lily said...

How wonderful!

GretchenJoanna said...

It's delightful to share in the fun of your encounter with a new friend. Isn't it sweet the way you were given a second chance?

That book cover attracts me, and I must go look it up right now (and don't tell me that I should instead be packing!)

M.K. said...

What a sweet story, Mags! Truly a providential appointment, I say. I remember that book from last year, I think -- it looks fun and spooky :) I know you will make your new friend feel welcome in your land.

Pom Pom said...

Mags, you are the sweetest people person EVER! What a blessing your visit will be!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...