Wednesday 15 June 2011

Day 15 Lanyon made Queen's, and how!

Charles Lanyon was the architect of the stunning main building at Queen's University, Belfast, which is where I studied after A-Levels. Four blissful years reading English Language and Literature, and French. Mostly in the Lanyon library just to the left of this Gothic college. For lunch we went to the Great Hall, immediately right inside the main door. It never looked this moody, but was continually beautiful, and for the Troubles generations, at least the ones who didn't form part of the much discussed Brain Drain to the mainland, it was solid and mind rich.
I was around there today, partly at the University Bookshop looking, in vain, for Divorcing Jack by Bateman- more of him tomorrow and even Friday! When all jobs there were complete I made myself sit down before the afternoon sun-rush. Green tea with jasmine in the quad, and silence! Alma Mater comes to me, speaking words of wisdom...

3 comments:

Pom Pom said...

How nice! I'd love to have a sit by the clock tower at my old college.

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Beautiful buildings! Would love to stroll around there ..
Have a happy day, sweet friend xxxx

quilterliz said...

G'day. What a great building. I would love to visit it.Take care. Liz...

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...