Tuesday 18 June 2013

Grateful? 799 - 811

So I had already clicked Shutdown with a shake of the head at the mere thought of gratitude. But I know in same head that gratitude is like worship (spot the worship leader's wife)- it's a sacrifice of praise, so here goes.

I am grateful that I have happy, healthy children, even if one of them came home from school sick today. No doubt directly linked to camping in heavy rain and winds on Friday night and then rushing home to your chum's birthday football party. Maternal sigh.

I am grateful that my children have a school and an education and so many things that we take wholly for granted. I am grateful for friends who listen nonetheless to my worries and wearinesses. Maternal sigh!

I am very grateful for the interesting, paid marking that I did this year- and I am most grateful that it is now finished!  I am grateful that we finally got around to booking a holiday, that is fast approaching. I am grateful that the end of term is also fast approaching for the boys, and that there will be a break from homeworks and uniforms and packed lunches and trips and getting out of bed in the morning! Maternal sigh.

I am grateful for campsites and swimming pools and climbing walls and the National Trust. I know that in my mother's day we were all sent out at dawn with a sandwich in our pocket and a lump of coal in our shoe and that we didn't come back before dusk. But some things are actually better nowadays! (And actually we weren't allowed past the line/crack in the concrete at the opening to our cul-de-sac, and my mother played host to the whole street so that she would always know where we were and who we were with in 1970s North Belfast!)

Thankful for my family, and not just my dad. Though he is a scream. Also a scream ( a very hilarious thing) are the whole G8 comes to Northern Ireland shenanigans. So. Much. Fun. It's like having the Olympics come to your local children's play park.

Grateful for my favourite of today's many quotes from His Address- which I'm quite sure was written by his crack team of speech-writers, and read straight from the auto-cue:

"The terms of peace may be negotiated by political leaders, but the fate of peace is up to all of us."



4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Ha! You're right about those speech writers. Just today we were remarking that the speeches here in America rarely contain literary references. Hmmmm.
A wonderful list of gratefulness, Mags.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

He's incapable of speech without the teleprompter. It's shameful.

Angela said...

You had both a sandwich AND a lump of coal? Round here it was one or the other! x

Left-Handed Housewife said...

So cool that the G-8 is in Belfast!

When we were kids, we were kicked out of the house after breakfast and allowed back in at dinner. Something like that. Really, not all it was cracked up to be, but my mom enjoyed herself.

xofrances




Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...