Saturday 10 March 2012

Patrick Pilgrims (and this week's Pause)

We're gearing up for next Saturday's big celebrations! The Willows will be on their way to England soon- but there would be no point in leaving Ireland before St Patrick's now, would there? This afternoon we made our nearly annual pilgrimage to the St Patrick's Centre in Downpatrick*.

There will be a Rend CD for a comment that explains why pigs are in the middle of the exhibition! I've been thinking about pilgrims a lot this week, which is why it amazes me that Pom Pom has this post this weekend and also that Cooking Catherine came down tonight with this book for me to read! (I'll read it quickly, Fred!)

We built a beehive retreat for the Willows to give them a taste of Irish hermit life. Though we couldn't row them out into the Atlantic for the authentic salt waves.
They did walk up the steps of St Patrick's Breastplate, and Jo held them securely down in the wind whistling over Patrick's stone. (Don't want to lose anyone...)
Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cosy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. 1 Peter 2:11 The Message

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Quote attributed to Ghandi that may or may not go on to question the materialism of affluent Christian countries. PC told me about this quote after I finished Catch 22 yesterday, and was telling him how much I loved the fact that, despite the anti-God tirades from characters in the book, the chaplain is portrayed so positively throughout. Pilgrim on earth, come on, my soul. (*Fans of our vernacular should note pronunciation of "down"!)

10 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

Ghandi's quote has left me restless.
Jane xx

Pom Pom said...

Hi Mags! Wow! The Willows are having so many adventures. I read Dulce Domum today before my Saturday nap . . . I love the way Ratty speaks of Mole's capital little house!
They really are quite the pilgrims. I'm glad they are staying for Saint Patrick's Day!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

It's nice to think of the boys on a pilgrimage. I try to remember that I'm a on a pilgrimage, too, and to keep my eyes open for signs and wonders. Sometimes I forget, though.

I always appreciate when clergy are portrayed as decent human beings in books and movies. In fact, I very purposely created a thoroughly decent pastor in one of my books just because I get tired of every pastor and preacher and priest in the world of fiction being a jerk. All the pastors who have ever pastored me have been lovely human beings.

xofrances

Elderberry-Rob said...

Rend music was beautiful and a lovely video too making me want to let off sky lanterns immediately - we did this at New Year and cast our worries off with them. Those Willows are going to return so well travelled and educated, looks like they might be arriving here in time for the bluebells, hope so. I thought I saw a little green leprechaun just then, better go and see if he wants to be painted. Bettyx

Angela said...

Jeans Mending Tutorial on its way to Deborah as I type...

Catherine said...

No Mags, wouldn't want to lose anyone would we ; )
Of course they must stay for the Green Day X

Floss said...

Hurray! Now I can comment! I don't know what went wrong before. I love the Willows team on Pilgrimage. Just too wonderful. And what you wrote for Lent ties in a lot with what I was thinking when I typed my Pause last night. We are not very good adverts for Christ - too busy defending our view of faith and not giving enough time to living for him. So now I'd better go off and do some of that living! (Ironic but true that this currently involves clearing away lunch and writing to my sister...)

Fat Dormouse said...

What a truly joyous song. Thank you SO much for introducing us all to the Rend Collective Experience. I really must order their CD.

The Ghandi quotation is very thought provoking - and very uncomfortable reading too!

Lisa Richards said...

What better place to spend St. Patrick's Day! Things are working out so well for the three!

The Ghandi quote is one we need to hear.

Oh, I've begun sketching one of the ancient swamp willows. It's fun! I love trees. Now I have to find some "people" to play in it.

Have a great day!

Gumbo Lily said...

How exciting for the Willow Fellows!

I'm thinking about the Ghandi quote too.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...