Sunday 11 April 2010

Composition: What I did during my Easter holidays.

I had a lovely time this Easter because:

182. There were none of these.

183. I witnessed the stoicism of strawberies who were absolutely, completely, undoubtedly, steadfastly determined to reach the top of Belfast Zoo, aka Cave Hill, in driving rain, cold and sodden gloves because they hadn't seen the cheetahs yet.

184. I managed my last two Friday Cake Bakes by tea-time on Sundays- tarte au citron last week and cheese scones today. The latter being an absolute triumph because creating something out of culinary nothing has never been my strong point!

185. We were all here (and there, and many places in between) with much mellow loveliness. I may not have had purity coming out of my head and tranquillity out of my derriere at ALL times, but it was good! Better than Jo's likenesses!

186. I was genuinely delighted to read that in 1387 Niall O'Neill built a house at Navan and entertained the poets and historians of Ireland. That's the house I want!

187. Navan is obviously still the best place for entertainment- all strawberries awed at the array of activities on there during Easter week. The Penultimate Crowning Glory being the discovery that after the toys in the sandpit beside the terrasse (where I was blissfully ensconced, teacup in hand) and even after the digging up of all loose change surreptitiously buried by PC there was actually a whole layer of mock dinosaur bones waiting to be reconstructed!

188. The Ultimate Crowning Glory was the suns' Friday Cake Bake- an iron age one. First make your dough...


189. The sun has shone hot and long for four days now. While I realise that this is, as usual, very bad news for those studying for impending exams, hooray!

190. I am deeply grateful for the old-fashioned education I had that chastises me for the laziness of a composition in evil bullet points. I'll go and write a proper one now. In French. And sell it to anyone worried about having enough material in the perfect tense for their GCSE French Oral- because they've spent the last week sitting in the sun!

191. The desert of Lent and passion of Easter bring us now to the House of the Spirit! Pentcost and counting..

5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

You're the best! Those strawberries are so cute! Yes, I'm washing my students in poetry - it's our national poetry month, a poem in my pocket day is coming up, and we are starting our multi-genre research project. We'll have a coffee house/poetry slam, too. Who is your very favorite poet?

VintageVicki said...

Sounds like you've had a great Easter break :)

My boys still have another week off - they didn't break up till the day before Good Friday - so my white shirts are still in the ironing basket!!

Anonymous said...

i do love this post. firstly white washing on the line always looks lovely (and impressive ;o)
the tarte au citron looks scrumtious and very arty with the eggy smile :o)
love mr. potato head (didn't know he was still around). and your suns determination...they are heroes both ;o)
hope you and your sweet strawberries have lots of sunshine and smiles this week xxx

sumea

Catherine said...

Sounds like a blissful Easter! Glad it went so well.
Cx

Aisling said...

186 makes me jealous. I spent some of my time at friends house recently reading the awesome novel Ireland by Frank Delaney all about storytellers and their stories. When I came home I bought myself a copy it was that good.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...