Wednesday 8 May 2019

FoolsFest



Ages and ages ago we used to take small boys into Belfast every May Day weekend to watch the Festival of Fools. I'm sure I've blogged it before. Street performers doing hilariously and often terrifyingly insane things in every little square around the town. Then strawberries grew up, and expressed opinions. Years passed!

Last weekend, however, we deemed ourselves not quite too cool for a fool, and in we went again! Hoorah. There were fools; there was hilarity; there were tricks; there was food in very trendy watering holes.


Two of the acts we saw were in the square opposite St Anne's Cathedral, which had obviously allowed itself to be filled up with a bit of foolishness for the duration.(1 Corinthians 1:25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.)

Nonetheless I must confess that to see pictures of fools you'll need to insta Jojo, if that is indeed a thing. My camera phone died because I was taking so many photos of the ground in Writers' Square. It will come as no surprise whatsoever to you to learn that the ground in Writers' Square is covered, absolutely covered, in quotes from Northern Irish writers. Had I made this connection? Ever at all? Hey ho no nonny nonny.  Who wrote the poem in the first shot? Answers on a virtual postcard!





4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

How wonderful!

GretchenJoanna said...

Did the boys go, too?

Those are your cute shoes, Mags? Love them!! I would be completely captivated by the lines in the square/squares, I know because I've encountered such places at least twice, and wore down my camera battery...

You dropped the philosophical seed into my mind with your reference to what is foolishness, but I have cut off the rambling and useless growth that resulted, so that you don't have to see it :-)

magsmcc said...

GJ, the boys did go too. Times like this are precious now, I realise, as their adulthood beckons.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad you had a good time with your family! :)

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...