Sunday 28 December 2014

On the fourth day of Christmas fraise lachrymo gives to you more lough views and views on books

,
Same Belfast Lough, looking back towards Loughshore Park where we walked the other day. The stretch behind the trees is Loughshore. This is at Hazelbank, just off the motorway to the north from the city. Loughshore looks further away than it is. It's an easy stroll or cycle between the two. Gorgeous on a bright, searingly cold afternoon like today!

This morning I revised Religion in Palestine at the time of Jesus with Mattman ( ie I revised with Mattman. He wasn't actually there with Jesus at the time. Not physically.). Then I waved the men off to church and lay in a hot bath with tea and Radio 4. Then I walked down to meet them after church via my parents' appartment. Then we went to Alan's parents for lunch. Then we went for a brisk walk at Hazelbank. So, imagine my incredulity that it was still only 3.30pm when we got home. Bliss. Two hours of reading on the sofa before the next foray into the kitchen. Isn't it amazing that kitchens survive this week? Not to mention us...


Last night I finished the last of the three stories in the Aunt Sass Christmas Stories by P. L. Travers. These are very worth reading. I haven't read Mary Poppins, and will confess that the Disney film is my whole experience thereof. My brother-in-law bought us the Saving Mr Banks DVD for Christmas and I look forward to watching it now. Only then will I read MP, methinks.

Each of the stories here is not a story at all. They are introduced as autobiographical portraits and this seems to sum them up well. They are exquisite. Each one tells a whole life, right up to death. Embracing death. As a natural and integral thing. In the final tale the children sum this up beautifully when they at last enter Johnnie Delaney's cabin. It's a beautiful little tome. Full of humanity and respect and understanding. Insightful, wise understanding of people and their lives, the whole course of their lives. I think you'd like it too! Trying to catch up this week with my 52 Books in this academic year...


4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

That looks like a very good book! Off to hunt for it! Tale of Two Cities for book club #1 and Jayber Crow for #2.

Lisa Richards said...

Thanks for reminding me of "Saving Mr. Banks"! I really want to watch that.
The book sounds very good. I'll add it to my list! :)
Happy reading!

Fat Dormouse said...

We very much enjoyed Saving Mr Banks. It is on the list for a re-watch in the near future (Mind you, I love anything with lovely Emma T in.)
Wishing you and your family a joyful, peaceful and laughter-filled 2015.

M.K. said...

I have wondered if reading of Travers has increased a lot since the recent movie about her and her movie. That was a lovely movie to watch. I cried at the end as I watched her (via Emma Thompson) crying in HER theater as she watched a movie. It was a strange, moving experience. I could not resist crying, although as I did it I knew full well I was being coerced into tears -- the mirror image effect of it all flung in my face. You will love it.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...