Monday 4 October 2010

Greatitudes 301- 313

The Sunday School class I help with made gratitude crosses yesterday, so I thought, Great, my list is done! But after church, and after communion, a little thing happened that was over so quickly I don't think many would have noticed, but it has haunted me ever since.

The basket of communion bread was still sitting on the table, and everyone was standing around talking and clearing up and there was that nice buzz that you get when people have worshipped together and are communing on a less formal level.

So the basket of bread was there, waiting to be cleared away. I was sitting in the front row waiting for PC to tidy up his guitar and tie up with the sound guys, and the suns were on either side of me playing, and then I noticed that some of the other children were up at the table at the bread basket.

And they were gorging on the pieces of bread, absolutely falling on them and devouring them in handfuls. Their mouths were not big enough for the fistfuls of bread that they were eating with surreptitious side glances at the women who were pottering around.

And I can't get that out of my head! That falling on the body of Christ, and devouring that grace as if your very life and essence depended on it. The exhileration of something that shouldn't belong to you, but you will have it, and have in all abundance.

5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Beautiful. Yes, I want more, more, more, more of Him. I can tell He loves me so.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Oh, I love this post--and I love that the children were allowed to gorge on the body of Christ. Wonderful!

frances

Gumbo Lily said...

O the delicious Bread of Christ in abundance. Yes! I love the picture of the children you described so well.

Jody

Anonymous said...

I love this line..."falling on the body of Christ, and devouring that grace as if your very life and essence depended on it"...because my life DOES depend on Him. Thank you for the reminder! Great post.

debbie bailey said...

Kids do that at our church, too, at least until some well-meaning adult stops them.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...