Monday 13 September 2010

Greatitudes 273-284

This weekend Prince Charming and I headed for Chillifest, where apparently the chillis were indeed extremely hot. Our main intention was to get to Tony Macauley's reading from Paperboy in the No Alibis Book Tent. So suns were deposited with my parents for a whole afternoon! We wouldn't need tickets, declared PC. We would just get in- we did not!

I continue nonetheless to enjoy Macauley's book about growing up in Belfast in those days, as I did and as PC did- the author being his youth leader back in the day, the church mentioned being his home church, and the Lesley of the closing pages being his dad! It is a book to be grateful for, in its funny and down to earth juxtaposition of rites of passage with rites of conflict.

I'm glad that Chillifest was sold out- who ever would have thought then that such a thing would ever happen in the city centre, let alone sell out completely. We met friends outside who said that it isn't the city we grew up in. Praise be; indeed not.

But it is a gorgeous city! We walked all over the town in the bright Autumn air, hand in adult hand! And ended up in Made in Belfast- which is as quirky as shabby chic can be! I sat on a sheepskin clad sofa sipping Earl Grey with blue flower something, and tried not to look like a hick from the suburbs on her first outing in months....

We were both Made, Marred and Matured in Belfast, I suppose, and haven't fallen out of love with her yet. She is a better place than once she was, or than people let her be.

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I think I love your Belfast!

GretchenJoanna said...

I could only find one review o Paperboy other than yours, but combined, they make me want to read it. It sounds refreshing and encouraging.

Gumbo Lily said...

"Hand in adult hand" sounds very nice to me. I think the alternative place sounds at least as good as Chillifest -- probably much better.

Jody

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love the idea of going to stuff like Chillifest more than actually being there, so your day sounds like the perfect balance of fine ambitions and perfectly nice compromises. I live in small city that has changed a lot for the better over the last ten years, and I'm continually amazed by it.

frances

Maggie said...

Hi there, partner!
I love the look of the cafe in your last photo, it reminds me very much of one we discovered in the Marais district of Paris this past spring. We haven't yet visited Belfast, although we've been south of the border a couple of times.
I'll email you my address for the Mag Swap and start putting a package together for you.
a bientot
Maggie @ Normandy Life

Mise said...

Do you know, I've never been to Belfast, and must go. You make the city sound graciously authentic, and there's a lot to be said for that. Made Marred and Matured, hand in adult hand. You've done her justice with such considered words.

Jenny said...

What a charming little trip you took us on. I'm kind of a chili-head living in Arizona as I do.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...