Tuesday 26 November 2019

Celtic Advent (started two weekends ago!)





I travelled to Glasgow on the first night
Of Celtic Advent:
Forty days and forty nights like Lent.
A Lenten fast in winter.

I journeyed beside three sad men.
A nephew had died, and they were pilgrims
To pay tribute,
Laden with grief, bearing friendship.

I too journeyed with gifts,
But of wine, chocolate and curtains to be made.

There was indeed a star,
Shining warmly,
Over the table of hospitality
Where my journey ended.
And lo! Glad tidings
Of many things were shared.

And as the three sad men
Travelled home unseen next day,
I was pondering all these things
In my heart.


 

8 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

That's how our Orthodox Nativity Fast is - 40 days of preparation for, as one priest put it, our Winter Pascha. It sounds like you made good use of your trip for quiet meditations and ruminations!

XO

Kezzie said...

OOh,that's sad...but beautifully written!

Pom Pom said...

Hmmmmm. I'm so ready to start my Advent times. I have too many resources and lofty and creative plans, and I'm so ready to begin. God be with you, sweet friend.

Angela said...

Mags, are you going on the Advent Pause list this year? I cannot find a message from you about it [my fault, sorry]

Fat Dormouse said...


A thoughtful and rather haunting piece of writing, Mags. Thank you.

Kezzie said...

Oi Mags, where are your Pauses!??!? Hope you are ok!x

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

lovely!
Today I celebrated, such a rate thing for me!, by going to hear The Offering Band. The only other time I've heard them was in 2010; my last Christmas with Dave. It was nuts, driving almost 150 miles round trip but the calm, peace, quiet of Christmas Season has been with me all day. In spite of the kraziness, the traffic (UGH! 70-75 MPH on interstate...insane!) and I visited Dave's grave.
I still don't know why; he's not there (praise God) but I was driving by, saw the cemetery sign and thought, "Why not?"
If we don't go forward, where will we go?

Pam said...

I like that commenter's comment - if we don't go forward, where do we go?

Very sad, though.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...