Sunday 27 October 2019

Not the darkest day

 
Last week many of my friends, Prince Charming, included, changed their facebook profile picture to black #darkest day. I didn't. Not because I disagreed with them: just the night before the boys and I had discussed the imminent new marriage and abortion Northern Ireland legislation and the impact it would have on our little society. Or perhaps on Christians in our little society. My perspective was that not often are you aware that the fabric of society is changing, but last Tuesday was a milestone.

The reason I didn't change my picture, and I did think about it, was because my reading the night before had been from Psalm 118:24, "This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it". I'm working through Warren Wiersbe's Prayer, Praise and Promises book, and this is what he writes, "The psalmist was going through battles and difficulties, yet he was able to say, 'If God put this day together, I'm going to rejoice...'" And so I felt that, like Corrie Ten Boom in her lice-infested bed, I should give thanks and strive after faith. I told the boys that in this new chapter my plan was to live a life of hospitality and sacrifice. I wasn't entirely sure what I meant myself! I wondered if the sacrifice would be putting aside what others thought of me in this brave new world.

It's finally half-term, and today I am slightly hysterical with joy! I have bronze toes and a new sofa in the sunny spot and plans plans plans to embrace all things orange and to breathe deep deep deep of this gorgeous season. The year is slowing down, and in the cosy darkening we can burrow slow down into what sustains us. Now and through the wintry times.

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Two of my favorites, WW and Corrie.
And you.
Happy half-term!
I love that delicious feeling of rest and reprieve.
Pretty polish, too!

Kezzie said...

As our TV doesn't work properly, I am often completely unaware of things that are going on in the world around us , including this new legislation.
I think your interpretation of the psalm that God showed you was a good one.
I am so glad you have reached half term. Mine finishes tonight!

Angela said...

Thoughtful as ever, Mags. On a trivial note - I rarely paint my fingernails, toenails even less often. But my toes only get done in the summer, sandalwearing, sunny moments. Perhaps I should go crazy and embellish my toes, and when they are socked and booted, their hidden technicolor style will be my secret, and the reason for my smile.

ellen b. said...

I was sad to see Northern Ireland go the way of the U.S. in thinking it's okay to prey on the most innocent...
I'm sure there are many who don't agree.
It's good to trust in God. I do find myself saying "Maranatha" many days...
Happy Half Term to you!

Lisa Richards said...

I like your thoughts and will look up Warren Wiersbe since you and Pom both recommend him. It's easy to despair as we see the direction the world is taking. I think you have the right idea. God can show us the way through the chaos and the best way to respond through His Spirit. May He give us courage. (This wimp needs it!)

M.K. said...

This is such a deep, thoughtful post, Mags. Thank you. It is the warm, cozy season. Nothing our politicians can do will change the passing of the seasons and our joy in them.
As someone who already lives in a society with long-legalized abortion (and even regularly considers both partial-birth abortion and privately practices infanticide), and that already has legalized same-sex marriage -- I understand the sorrow, the darkness, the feeling of decline. But I'll say too that living in such a dark place has made me MORE THAN EVER know and take joy in the fact that I am primarily a citizen of heaven, not of the US or any nation. That my King sets eternal rules that cannot be shaken. It is still a constant sorrow to think about the death this world is embracing. But I try to set my sites on heaven instead, and the darkness here makes that place seem all the more bright. We are lights here. May God give you all strength as you step into this difficult new world.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Yesterday, a guest preacher said he LOVES watching the news because it's everything he's not going to miss. He was a good-un and I'd love to hear him a few hundred times more. He was saved while in penitentiary and has a 35 year prison ministry.
I admit to feeling fear, especially since Dave's death; the alone-ness can be overwhelming and I try to remember, nothing is a surprise to God. He's got everything under control. I also admit to praying, "Please God, take good care of Yourself; You're the only hope I've got."

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...