Monday 27 August 2018

Sunday Night Blues

 I'd like first to clarify that I'm not at all feeling burned out on religion! This passage was the closing invitation at tonight's open air evening service, part of the village's "summer" fair this weekend. I'm going to dedicate it to mums everywhere ending their summer with not a whole lot of energy for the term ahead!
 "Are you tired? Worn out? (Burned out on religion?) Come to me.
 Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.
 Walk with me and work with me- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
 I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
 Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Matthew 11:28-30 from Eugene Peterson's wonderful paraphrase. Have an unforced week, fine folk x

4 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank you, Mags! I remember an interview with Eugene Peterson that I heard a few years ago -- I love his voice literal and literary.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

No is such a wonderful word...full of grace, mercy, hope, promise and even love. This one, wonderful life I've been given isn't much of a wonderful life if I'm always running at the beck and call of others. That includes the demands of religion.
But relationship
Ah, that's a much different beast of burden. His yoke is easy and light because He bears our burdens, when we remember to lay them at His feet.
Praying for you a day, then a week, followed by a month of burdens made light.

M.K. said...

May this school beginning be a joy to you! And may you find energy you didn't think you possessed, plus good sleep at night and moments of deep peace to strengthen you.

Kezzie said...

Praying for God giving you energy. You've done well Mothers!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...