Monday 13 August 2018

Diamonds are forever

We've reached that point in August where the air has a crisp chill even on a sunny day and the local chestnut trees are sneaking in some orange leaves. Here in the normally Frozen North we've had a proper summer, a real scorching, sunny, hot and wonderful time, so I think we're not quite as bereft at the thought of a new season approaching as we usually are!

Even with huge breaks in blogging it's always wonderful to pop back in and see how rolled round we are in earth's diurnal course, with rocks and stones and, especially at this time, trees*.  Plus ça change... I was struck this week by a farcebook memory from years ago that I could have easily written this week!

So here's a rock from the diurnal course- a diamond no less. I was presented with this at the end of a prayer session that I had been doing at my church's Holiday Bible Club last Thursday. There was a distinctly Celtic theme, so we had been jigging away to the Corrs, with short bursts of prayer in between. I at least had great fun! And at the end a very small girl came up to me with a most serious expression and said quite pragmatically, "I want to give you a diamond." So she proceeded to reach deep into the pocket of her little handbag and did just that. I'm wearing it on my wrist right now.

I've been trying to read right through the Bible chronologically this year, and am lamentably behind, but recently there have been lots of Psalms interspersed with the David narrative as it unfolds. What has struck me most this week are the Psalms that very deliberately go through in detail the corporate chronology of what the Lord has done for us, with a view to passing it on to the next generation. I've been trying to think very deliberately about what the Lord has done for us here. Being given my second diamond in twenty one years is definitely on the list!

And if you fancy a wee bit of Irish jigging with bursts of prayer in between, what has the Lord done for you?

* "A Slumber did my Spirit Seal" by William Wordsworth


6 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Mags! I always get behind when I do the Bible in a Year (or two) thing. I love what you say about the Psalms.
I'm very happy that you enjoyed some warm summer weather. All the local kiddies start school today.
Take care, precious one.

Lisa Richards said...

Hi Mags!Good to see you! I've been reading from the OT and NT from front to back. I'm currently reading Isaiah and Revelation. Trying to meditate on it as I go. I'm not worried about going quickly; just covering everything instead of my usual skipping around. Enjoy that fall weather! :)

M.K. said...

That's fun music! I think I've managed to read the Bible through chronologically (which order I very much love!!) about 5 times in the last 12 years. I don't push myself to do it in a year, and that helps. No guilt, no pressure. I just keep going forward at the speed I can. That's a very special diamond.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

The Lord gave me you and your family as Friends.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

P. S. LOVED the music and jigging!

Kezzie said...

I think you are right about the showing what the Lord has done through the chronology- never thought about it before!
I love the Corrs!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...