Monday 25 February 2013

A blanket pause in Lent



My goodness, I have no idea how I managed to get this circular triptych of photos to group, but it suitably reflects the jagged arrangement of how Lenten thoughts are falling for me this week! Bear with me. This could be obscure! Maybe you should go read someone else instead?

Brave choice... Do you know the Nanny McPhee movies? If so, you remember the point near the start of each one where you get the voices all whispering: The person you need is Nanny McPhee? Well, right now and for the rest of Lent, the blanket I need is Nanny McPhee. I am hoping to blog about this more clearly later in the week! The point for today, however, is that I appear to be crocheting granny squares for Lent.

And they are becoming increasingly bright and sunny as the weather here finally follows the same pattern. It's a slow little process of making small things (Ooooh, look at the little smaaaaall things- another favourite McPhee line) that will hopefully come together into a colourful big thing that bursts into the outdoors and revels in air and adventure. Like the yellow, yellow, yellow scarf that Queen Niqi generously gave me today. Hope. It's all about hope, I think. Small steps building hope. In Lent.

Before Christmas I realised that the suns were showing enough interest in spiritual things to be doing proper devotions, but felt wholly inadequate for the task. I discussed this with some Christian friends, and dragged out a book that the strawberries had bought at last summer's Bible Club. Now we're about half-way through and instead of me reading it to them, they are reading the story and looking up the Bible verse continuations for themselves. I am very encouraged by this. God is speaking to them and drawing them to him and I just watch and learn. Small steps building hope in Strawberry land this Lent x

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Yay for hungry strawberries! May they long for His Word all of their lives.
I do adore Nanny McPhee. it's such a beautiful movie, so colorful.
Your squares are very impressive! Well, done Sunshine Queen!

Jane and Chris said...

I loved my children's Bible...I wish I had it now.
Jane x

Angela said...

I must check out this book. I love the way kids respond to Bible stories. [do they know about Fat King Eglon?]

Praying for all Christian Parents seeking to bring their kids closer to Jesus xx

Elizabethd said...

The squares are so cheerful!

Unknown said...

Lovely squares and it is great that your children are becoming hungry for God's word. When ours were little (not sure the age of yours) we used devotions published by the Good Book Company.

Kezzie said...

That's fantastically encouraging! So nice to see teens or kids who are passionate for Christ!!!!X

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Lovely post, Mags and the granny squares are beautiful as is the photo montauge.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...