Monday 7 February 2022

Arboreally ironic

 No, I'm not sure if that is a word either. I'm running out of words, and we're not even into double digits of February. Today's word was 'arboreal' and I knew in my mind that I wanted it to be all about Psalm 1: planted by streams of water, bearing fruit wherever appropriate. But in the back of my mind was the growing panic that after tomorrow, there are only two words on the list (except for one that I'm saving for half-term). 

So, there I was earlier, doodling away about putting my roots down deep into words, knowing fine rightly that I haven't read a thing since January and you can't drink from an empty cup. Isn't that the expression? If somebody has a good word for that, do let me know tout de suite!

So, I am somewhat abashed as I trail upstairs to bed now. And I am taking my Bible and 'Leaving for America' with me. So far in 'Leaving for America' nobody actually goes to America. I'm also beginning to wonder if there really is anybody living next door to his big house, or if there is even a big house at all next door to his big house.

I'm teaching in school at the minute, instead of supporting teaching. Our fourth teacher out of a department of nine has tested positive. I'm a bit slaughtered. You can probably tell. So much for my glorious white space of January. Here's a tree, an aspirational tree, an arboreally ironic aspirational tree. Normal service may be resumed shortly.



3 comments:

Angela said...

I love that psalm which says "the trees of the fields will clap their hands, and you will go out joyfully". I have no idea what a clapping tree is like, but I'm sure it would be a joybringer

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

So, you're teaching on a sprained ankle? Take care of it, Mags, it can hurt for a long, long time, especially when weather changes. Every time the wind rustles the trees, I think I can hear them clapping....lovely sound!

M.K. said...

Mags! I had no idea you were short of words! I have this list from nearly 20 years ago, words I culled while reading Trollope and E. Goudge, I'm sure. Here are a pile for you, if you need them:
rumbustious, ruction, avuncular, jejune, sibilance, bucolic, plouter, badinage, puling, pulchritude, pellucid, peroration, harridan, hoopoe, paucity, crepuscular, trilby, eldritch, elechon

Some of those may be familiar already, but if they are helpful, so much the better. I'm also trying to write something, mostly poems, each day from one word from my list, but I'm not brave enough to put them out there for the world to see, as you are :)

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...