Tuesday 2 November 2021

November

 

Jolly and I have had a blissful day today discussing how much we both love, adore and cherish the stunningly beautiful month of November. It turns out that we both take great comfort from the bare blue skies at this time of the year. It's a stark month, with falling temperatures and darkening days, but it has a purity and a command that is spectacular, we think!

We went for a slow short walk along the shores of Belfast Lough when I finished school and errands. Dusk was creeping across the water, itself glowing with all the colours of the day. We were very happy, but also glad to get back to a wee cup of tea. Quite a big cup of tea in fact, and look at the mug that Jolly chose... Do you get the feeling that he might be getting homesick?


He is curled up in that big armchair now with the blanket round him, reading a book while I finalise his plans for tomorrow. He has decided to get all his meetings done in a day, so he'll have coffee with Niamh before lunch with Aoife before dinner with Grainne. I asked if he wanted to pace himself, but he said that there was no point hanging about. 

"It's like when I have lot and lots of heavy parcels to deliver," he said. "I could spread them out over a few days but then people would be cross at having to wait, and I'd wake up knowing that there was still work left-over. I much prefer to keep everyone, including myself, jolly," said Jolly!

He also said that he will be wearing his kilt. It is apparently keeping him warm in these chilly Irish climes. Annie, did you tell him what he's (not) supposed to be wearing underneath?

So, a busy day tomorrow! We wish you all a beautiful bare sky above you, a blanket around you, and a wee cup of tea in both hands x

5 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

It's clear you needed a visitor from across the sea to give you something to blog about. I'm very glad you have good company and a matchmaking project. Whatever it takes!!!

M.K. said...

Oh, Mags!! I do think this is the most exquisite piece of writing I've ever seen from you! Your description of November and your walk outside with Jolly was so lovely. Thank you. I want to go read it again, simply for the beauty it gives the soul.
Jolly will have fun on those three quick dates, and then he can get back to enjoying his time with YOU, in his comfy chair, with his blanket and tea :) I love November too.

Pam said...

Wow, you have sprung to life! Welcome back to Blogland. November is not my favourite month but on the other hand it can be, and currently is, beautiful.

I'd like to point out that this wear-nothing-under-a-kilt thing is a fairly recent "tradition"! We never heard anything about this before about twenty years ago. Men definitely wore underpants when I was young and went to energetic country dances! In the days of just plaids and not kilts as we know them today - well, who knows? But the Highlands were always chilly in winter so I feel pantlessness would never have been good plan.

Between Me and You said...

I love those Irish names! I decided not to mention to Jolly about the apparel or lack of which pertains to the wearing of the kilt. I think he had enough shocks when he was here with the ladies he encountered on his visit. He's really quite a timid little thing! I love November if it's crisp and dry, not so much when it's raining! Have fun with Jolly. Is that the Seattle skyline on your mug. I like it. x

Lisa Richards said...

I think the pants-under-the-kilt are a good idea this time of year. Brrr! I guess you realize how magical those Irish names sound to those of us over here in the plain old USA. :) I think it's very wise to get them all into one speed date, lol. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...