Tuesday 17 March 2020

Patrick the self-isolater (and Lent #3)

 Happy St Patrick's Day! He didn't get any mad parades and green Guinness either. And no, he didn't have a government telling him to stay in for a few months, but he did have Irish slave traders who grabbed him and sold him to Miliucc who condemned him to six long, cold, lonely years on a very rocky and uncomfortable bump of a hill not too far from here.

It's interesting to us in these days especially, I think, to imagine how Patrick chose to spend his time. He would have been entirely dependant on God and presumably others to feed him. He would have been devoid of all stimulation and entertainment. He records later that what he did was pray, all day and all night. One hundred times in daytime. One hundred times at night. We worked this out at our little Scripture Union in school last week: that's one pray every seven minutes.

Prayer is definitely becoming my theme for Lent. And Lent seems to be becoming C-time for us all. I often complain to myself, make excuses to myself, that I haven't time to read my Bible, or sit for a decent time meditating on that reading, listening to the God who loves me extravagantly. Well, aren't we getting more time than we've ever had? I sincerely hope that we won't have six years to combat loneliness and deprivation, but I do also sincerely pray that we'll look back on these weeks of self-isolation with recognition of how they brought us closer to God.

I even think that these weeks will bring us closer to others as well. We can, as so many are saying now, use our multitudinous communication technologies to communicate with each other. So, a very happy St Patrick's day to you all. I wish you lots of prayer time! We'll be reading this book, and praying these words of Patrick's too,

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, his might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.



8 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh yes! Well said, sweet Mags.
Maybe I should make Irish Soda Bread. I've never made it before.
God be with you, dear one.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Such a loved filled post; as well, your hilarious fb post with the three confused Irish lads...what an absolute HOOT! I'm finishing up my through the Bible reading for this year and when I turned the page to Revelation, read "read aloud these words" and it's been a huge help. As I read, I envision the words, the scene and it's almost a prayer as well. When the last page is turned and I begin anew in Genesis, I'll continue to read aloud. It's helpful to me.
love to you and your men with a dose of God's grace, mercy and loved prayed over you all.

Lisa Richards said...

I loved your observations! Six years of nothing but prayer! That's a worthy goal and I wonder if I would have done as well. Here's hoping we all spend more time in prayer and learning of God. I love being able to communicate with my blogging buds around the world. (You're the only one overseas, I think.) Praying for you and yours!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

btw, where's the button to sign up to receive post updates? please...

Kezzie said...

This certainly is a time for prayer!!! I hope many people choose to pray to God in this time for deliverance. I hope you are ok. How are you coping with the being restricted. How much are you allowed out?

GretchenJoanna said...

I don't think we could find a better example than St. Patrick <3

M.K. said...

So much loneliness and prayer would certainly bring one close to God! I've wondered about this C-time coinciding with Lent. We are certainly slowing down and giving up. We should fill it with time with God.

Pam said...

I hope you're doing ok during this strange time. It's all very odd and I hope it doesn't last too much longer - though I suspect it will, alas. Best wishes to you and yours.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...