Sunday 23 February 2020

The silence of snow

 I am yearning, groaning, longing for the silence of snow! It's the end of our half-term break and I am, for the first time ever, relieved. We have had incessant storms all week, making the very idea of leaving the house abhorrent. Every day had been full of noisy, noisy weather: boom banging of the house all night long for days with Storms Ciara and Dennis, then lashings of torrents of rain on every window and roof tile. Hibernation continues here at the Meadowplace!

I think though that we have no chance of snow this year at all now. There has been sleet and hail, hard, hammering hail, but no gentle, enveloping, silent snow. I t would be lovely to have a blanket of white to make all things new, for a while! I was amazed to find snowdrops in the garden earlier in the week. It seemed inconceivable that anything would have survived the storms, but there they were. Brave and resilient despite being so small.

I've been thinking about Elijah on his runaway mountain. Hiding in his cave from all the pounding elements, and waiting for the still, small voice of God. It has been good today to read Ang's prayer response about Jesus stilling the storms; and to read of the importance and beauty of stormy days over at Gretchen Joanna's.

We'll just have to keep going with the brave and resilient for another while.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Six years ago I brought snowdrops from our Leicestershire garden to plant at Cornerstones. But nothing happened. I decided that my poor gardening was to blame. But this year, one tiny brave bloom has appeared. Joy! God is faithful,there is always hope.

GretchenJoanna said...

The snowdrops are so encouraging, aren't they! If you aren't going to get that blessed weather quietness of winter, I guess you will have to just wait for the more gentle and greening noise of spring,. birds twittering and frogs...? I never hear that snowy quietness here, of course, so I rarely think about the sound of weather. But yours is a good meditation.

M.K. said...

There must be something elemental about hiding in the earth to escape the danger of horrible weather. The bulbs do just fine. We rarely get snow - maybe every other year or every few years. But we are quite far south. I'm surprised that you haven't had snow! I think of you as living very far north. Now I must go check your latitude. Ongoing horrible storms can be quite scary. I hope they are past you for a while.

Kezzie said...

Oh yes, it's all been very NOISY weather, hasn't it! I loved the calmness of the snow in 2018 (still the best birthday ever in February when I had 3 snow days from my birthday!). I agree!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...