A couple of weeks ago I needed to bring a cake to a friend's. I fancied some lemon cake so I dug out my favourite drizzle recipe. It has to be one of the easiest cake recipes I have and was very kindly given to me 31 years ago by one of the grandmothers of my boyfriend at the time, Gran Caster.
Crusty Lemon Butter Bake was the title of the recipe and although it is a drizzle it will always be a Crusty Lemon Butter Bake to me.
The following week Mags visited and I whipped it up again, and you can tell from her comments in previous blog posts she quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure if Mary & Paul would have been happy to have this produced for the signature bake in this week's GBBO as it is so simple - but I know they would have enjoyed eating it.
I'm considering a Gin & Lime topping, but haven't tried it yet.
So here is the recipe in all its simple glory:
Crusty Lemon Butter Bake – Gran Caster
6oz /170g butter
6oz/ 170g caster sugar
6oz / 170g SR flour
4oz / 115g caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C/ 160⁰C fan/ 350⁰F / GM4
- butter and line 14” x 9” tin (flatter with more crunchy topping) or 8” square (deeper cake)
- Melt butter in large bowl
- stir in sugar
- beat eggs in separate bowl
- stir eggs into butter/sugar mix with flour – don’t over mix
- tip into tin bake for 40 mins
- dissolve caster sugar in lemon juice
- spread lemon paste over top of hot sponge
- leave in tin til cold, cut into 16 squares