Tuesday 28 June 2016

End of an era

 I have been thinking that, apart from the working five days a week thing, and the looking after children and parents thing, and the being as lazy as get out thing, one of the reasons I have rarely blogged for a long while now is because I have allowed my mind to be ruined, ruined utterly, by a dependence on short, preferably witty sentences or sub-titles that require little effort and less thought, and which are usually found on facebook.

But this afternoon, writing this year's series of thank-you cards with my shining suns, it struck me that the place I really wanted to be documenting what is a big milestone for us here in the Meadowplace wasn't facebook at all. Despite the fact that blogs are much more open than social media with their supposed privacy settings, there is in blogging an atmosphere of intimacy and understanding that doesn't exist there. Here in the small nest of sympathetic readers is a small, precious space to lay down a little egg!
 Tomorrow Jo will leave Primary School. He will surge out of the red doors at 12.15 and bounce around for a while with all his friends, high on life and loud as a hoarse-from-a-morning-of-shouting thing can be. I think I started blogging in 2008, when Jo was about to start his nursery year. I was certainly blogging when he started school. He had seven years of hearing that school bell ring, running up and down that playground, doing homeworks, going on trips, walking/scooting/cycling down and up the hill, learning to play violin and protesting his hatred thereof at every pluck of every string! For most of that I was blogging cakes, books, trips, Wind in the Willows, walking down and up the hill- I'm not at all sure what!
I know that I did come to feel that I was eventually blogging all the same things at all the same times of the year. That did make me feel slightly boring! But what is life if not Autumn cosiness, winter lights, Spring emersions into the fresh air, and solo summer surviving when you have two suns and their high octane energy to channel and Prince Charming is safe in work!

Thankfully, regardless of his increasing propensity for teenage attributes, Jo has the living room floor covered in train track. Schools may change, height may change (that's definitely them rather than me), seasons may change- but some things remain to litter the nest a while yet!

Tomorrow our Primary days end, another holiday kicks off, and all will be well in the world x

6 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Another milestone! Rejoice in the clutter while it lasts. Believe it or not, you'll miss it someday. Enjoy your holiday!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Your post title frightened me into thinking that you were going to stop blogging, but the content makes me think that you're going to blog more. Tell me I'm right! I prefer the intimacy of blogging, too--I feel like I'm in a lovely neighborhood with the nicest neighbors in the world. I post sometimes on FB, but it's not good for me--I find myself seeking approval on FB. On my blog, I can just be me.

Just be you, Mags, and tell us everything.

xofrances

M.K. said...

Mags, I often find myself pondering, when I take a photo, "Do I want to toss that over to FB with a little by-line, or do I want to save it and work it into a larger blogpost?" FB is faster, but truly that news feed does simply disappear into the huge maw that is Facebook History, and how would I ever find it again? But on my orderly blog with its labels and post lists and search bar, I really can find our family history, and I feel I'm keeping a record of sorts. You'll be glad you blogged these fleeting years. You'll be very, very glad of the photos you take of your boys -- take lots. Soon they will be miles and hours away and photos will not be taken. Love to you -- did Badger arrive?

Pom Pom said...

Yes, blog more and more and more. Your words are so true. Blogs provide evidence of life markers and the cheery bloggers love in a very interested way (such a treasure!)
I remember when our Jenny finished elementary school and I remember some of the sad feelings some of my friends had when the last one finished the more "pure" years of public schooling. You and good Frances have a lot in common and I LOVE that about blogging.
I grow very weary of Facebook but I love it for keeping in touch with my family. I message back and forth with my sister daily and it gives me great encouragement.
I love you, sweet Mags.

Gretchenjoanna said...

I'm glad you are not leaving our dwindling group yet. Yes, bloggers are a dwindling group, but as Frances said, we are a good neighborhood and I'd like to keep up with you here, Dear Mags!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Mags, when you aren't blogging, your voice is missed. So much of life is daily and, yes, sometimes boring. I mean, how excited can I expect others to get over mowing the field or weeding the garden?
Blogging has allowed me to meet wonderful, and sometimes not so wonderful, people but I wouldn't have missed any of them given the choice.
Keep on, keeping on.
<><

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...