Tuesday 8 December 2015

Second Pause in Advent: Peace

 There isn't a jot of peace to be had in my world! I got the essay handed in, I got prepared for Preparing for Advent (and it was a lovely evening), I watched the fabulous DVD lent to me by a very long-suffering friend from church. The tree is up, the lights are on, the Amazon order is placed. Lists are written, including Mattman's exam revision timetable which started last night. This all sounds very good and glorious when set down in type.
 Along with the chocolates in our Advent calendar this year I have put a challenge a day into the pockets. I stole this idea from Ang. All the best ideas come from Ang, and all you other, better than me folk! Because we take a day each, it means you get four days to complete your challenge. This is just as well as although I gathered together my books to take to the charity shop, they are still here in a pile. Manana. Which is when I will be leaving happy notes for someone to find. I might start under some pillows tonight...
So I suppose in the midst of it all I could sit down and clear my head, but I am afraid to because many sad things are all around us this winter. I fear there is not much peace to be found. Last Thursday night at Preparing for Advent we thought about how we need in this dark world to wage peace, hope, love, joy as assiduously as the world wages war and despair. Admittedly we did end the night with a thought from Rend Collective's blog: "The message of the manger isn’t that we need to make sure everything is right before Jesus comes, it’s that he makes all things right WHEN he comes."

Shalom x

10 comments:

Nearly Martha said...

Sometimes I think there is a kind of peace to be had by getting organised and doing the things we need to do

Pom Pom said...

Hello Mags! I have been listening to Rend's Campfire Christmas when I walk. So lovely.
I like the challenge idea for the boys. You are SO right about that Ang. She's full of good thinking!

Angela said...

Deeply, deeply challenged by your post
first- I have yet to put up our tree
second - Martha Stewarts Pies and tarts [original version] is still languishing on my bookshelf - hasnt even got into the CS donations box.
third - reading the Rend thought puts it all into perspective. i can stop stressing and trust Him

blessings on you all xx

ps well done on the Advent challenges!

Lisa Richards said...

Love the Rend quote!
God's blessings on your little household.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Mags, I hope your peace comes quickly and deeply. I don't have a tree nor lights but there's a wreath at the gate and candles lit and does nicely. I've just finished watching the DVD series Hamish MacBeth...delightful! although I missed so much due to the accent. I'll watch it all again next year.
Oh Wodehouse and Jeeves...lovely as is the quote you ended your post...He does make all things right because He came. Maybe not right the way I'd like or want but right because of Him.

Pam said...

Shalom to you too.

(How do you manage to get lost in the centre of Edinburgh? There's a muckle great castle in the middle and everything is just spread around it, with the sea (north) on one side. Warn me next time you're coming and I'll give you a tour!)

Kezzie said...

He comes when he comes, not when we've got everything ready- yes, quite right!I like your notes idea!x

Elderberry-Rob said...

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and wonderful things in the New Year, Betty

M.K. said...

Hi dear Mags. Catching up on blogs here. You are so honest. There is always much sadness and darkness hanging about out in the world like a raincloud. I like that Rend quote. I read this morning that God let the Israelites get hungry so He could then feed them, so they would be humble, and they would understand that their food comes from Him. But first He had to make them hungry. How much of the darkness and sadness of the world is God letting us get hungry?

Thistle Cove Farm said...

YOOHOOO! Any body home?

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...