Friday 8 August 2014

Reconnected

This is home at dusk! Boys' supper bowls still on table, DVD noise from next door. We have been reconnecting with Prince Charming who has just now fallen into bed- he arrived home this afternoon having been transatlantic to Big HQ for a three-hour meeting. His feet were in North America for twenty-four hours. He was away from home for forty-eight!

What interests me in all the disruption of back-to-back travel and also in the high cost to the company of such a short trip, is that it was clearly worth it to the project involved to have people in a room, face-to-face, reading each others' expressions, able to be fully understood and to fully understand.

Which seems ironic in this super-modern context of instant and diverse communication. I am about to log in to an on-line group to which I belong, and which I very much love. But often I dearly, dearly wish that I could be in the same real room, on the same real continent, with these women.

I wonder is blogging slightly different though. Is the marriage of words and picture a very tangible window through which we allow like-minded folk to look in on us? I don't mean the "lifestyle" blogs with huge followings and managed perspectives. I mean us. Those of us who have bumped into each other on the corner of someone else's street and said, call round!

I've been away from Blogland for ages, and am trying to reconnect. I have decided that I don't have anything particularly worthy to share with the group, but I am so deeply reassured on returning to find our years turning on their solid landmarks and seasons that I am going to pitch right back in with unending attempts to knit socks and a long list of vain sewing projects.

Though actually, it's all about boys here! So if you do call round, look out for the water balloons....

5 comments:

Kezzie said...

Hello there!! I like your bunting! Missed you, please come round more!x

Lisa Richards said...

Yay! Glad to see you back! Yes, I love just sharing our everyday moments. It's wonderful to share our similar interests as well as the things that make each of us unique. I love that you have a telescope in that big windowed area! Welcome back! :)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

So glad to have you back in the neighborhood, Mags! I've missed you.

xofrances

Scarlet said...

It is lovely to see a post from you.
I have something that I would like to send to you. I would have sent it as a surprise but don't have your address. My email address is on my blog, if you could let me know...

M.K. said...

Well, Hey Mags :) I'm once again catching up on blog reading. It's so good that you are back at it again, after the family upheavals and then the move, and so much going on -- plus the photo troubles on ye olde blogge. I'm also fascinated that in our modern age of full-face-on-the-screen-in-real-time, that they wanted your hubby to fly across the ocean to sit in a room. It really says something about the important of how we humans read each other in our body language, inflections, and facial expressions -- evidently things that can't quite be gleaned even via Skype. There's something about sharing the same space with someone, and engaging in real, old-fashioned communication.

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...