Wednesday 19 January 2011

Le Vent dans les Saules...

... The Wind in the Willows, in French! When Mags first suggested that I post something typically French for her Wind in the Willows week, I started doing a bit of research, which led me to the library in our southern French market town.
There I found, to my delight, the full set of the French 'take' on the Wind in the Willows, neatly held together with a big rubber band, as it can be borrowed as one book. Excellent. It's out on Son 2's ticket, and I think he'll enjoy reading it now I've taken my photos!
To understand this French version, you need to know that the French take everything seriously.
You may not believe me - it's not the popular stereotype. But I think it's true. Sometimes it's annoying - we cycle every day in our family, but we are not considered proper cyclists because we only use our bikes to get places. REAL cyclists don 500€ worth of lycra on a Saturday morning before getting on to 1000€ worth of bicycle to cycle 50km for no particular reason. (Do you detect a note of bitterness? Sorry, so do I. Need to work on that.)But sometimes this taking everything seriously is a supurb trait. No art or craft is considered a 'poor relative' to other art-forms - cinema is as important as the stage, street dance is as important as the ballet, and comics ('bandes dessinées' or BDs) are taken seriously, as real art.
That's how the French-speaking world produced stories as good as Tintin and Asterix, I think - no one thought their creators should 'grow up' and produce 'real' books or pictures. So it's not terribly surprising that, as well as the more traditional translations, the French artist Michel Plessix has created a very charming bande dessinée of our favourite story. It was published between 1996 and 2009 by Delcourt.
To me, the sweet illustrations and careful use of the original text work very well. How does the opening page (above) strike you?
Many of the illustrations are incredibly beautiful, and draw you into the sense of nature that is so important in the original stories.
This page shows the influence of what we in the UK might call 'real art' on the art of the BD. There's a credit on the front page: 'Remerciments à Monet, Manet, Van Gogh et Klimt pour leur collaboration involontaire et bienveillant à la page 23'. Cheeky!
I'm really drawn to these nature illustrations, and I think Kenneth Grahame would have approved.
All in all, I think they combine what's best in the original stories with what's best about the art of the BD. But there are some wonderfully BD touches, as well, which you won't find in the originals:
'Tune in next week...' style questions at the end of each book.
Gratuitous bosoms (essential, although very toned down to match the subject-matter and readership).
Fantastic French onomatopoeia! (That's one of Toad's car crashes, of course.)
But all in all, a really successful French treatment of a much-loved English classic.
Can't wait to see what my boys make of them...
I'm very grateful to Mrs Tearful Strawberry for the opportunities to a) visit the library, which I don't do often enough and b) rediscover this sweet story in a new form. And I'm really looking forward to Friday, when I hope to have the time to visit all of you, and to join in myself, with your Wind in the Willows posts!
love

10 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What beautiful illustrations Floss, and so in keeping with the original.I hadnt realised they were translated in France.

And by the way , those expensive groups of cyclists exist solely to block the roads on Sunday!

Nina said...

That´s just lovely. Made me laugh when you told the cykling story. Yes indeed, I´ve come across similar attitude. In France!

*❀* said...

oh, Floss this is wonderful! i have so enjoyed seeing thses BD's they are magnificent of should i say 'magnifique'. DZiiiiiNGLELiNNNNG! don't you just love that? the illustrations are lovely, and i really do think Monsieur Grahame would approve, i think he'd be delighted infact. i do like the French view on art and crafts, they are so right of course, but perhaps a little unfair when it comes to bycicle riding.

thank you so much for this.

i don't think i told you, but i've just begun to teach myself French (only a few nouns at present) as due to my illness last year i have been having problems with my memory and am told learning a new language will help with this.
i will start soon conversing a little in French with you.

merci cher ami pour le partage de ce message merveilleux avec nous xxx

millie

magsmcc said...

Floss, this is superbe! And very, very French- it made me laugh heartily! I'm going to have to read this post many times to "have the impression that I have really got to the bottom of the important things"!

Maggie said...

Loved looking through your French BD's, the drawings are a delight.
The picture of the gaolers daughter bringing toast to Mr Toad would be perfect for my post on Friday. Dare I "borrow" it? SVP.
email me @ jmaggiebryant@aol.com if I may.
Merci
Maggie

Simone said...

The illustraions are beautiful and I love the French text too!

Elderberry-Rob said...

How lovely to see this beautiful work French style. What I love about the characters is their individual personalities that could be compared to people we know in real life! You will have to wait until Friday to see who I think my personality is....

Angela said...

Tres bon!
What stupendous illustrations [even the gratuitous bosoms!] and glorious onomatopaeia [SCROTCH!!]
Merci beaucoup for such a fabulous post
x

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

What beautiful books! I love the way it's in comic form and the illustrations are so neat. Great for children who really don't like reading.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I think Kenneth Grahame would approve, for sure.
What a fantastic post, Floss! Thank you!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...