Sunday, 30 January 2011

I'm a Weapon of Massive Consumption

I have been reading incessantly for the last week. I have also done housework, homeworks and helping of many sorts. But lots of reading! I think it was a direct result of Willows Week- I was so terribly impressed with everybody's words that I became thirsty for more, and needed very much to fill the huge (mole)hole left by the end of that lovely week!

I have loved all of Marina Lewycka's novels. I still can't pronounce her surname. But this seems not to matter too much in the general scale of admiration. Tractors, I thought, was a whole new type of writing and I fell into the category of those who did read the history bits! Then Two Caravans seemed so much more polished beside it- not one slight inconsistency of tone that I found a little bit jarring in Tractors.

One night this week, I turned to PC and said, "I am so disappointed in We Are All Made of Glue. It is just rubbish!" But decided nonetheless to persevere through more than one and a half chapters.

The characters are ludicrous. The plot is insane. But who else could weave a tale of the Holocaust AND modern day Israel and Palestine, question you on what belief system you have chosen, keep you romping along in absolute delight, and still educate you on the properties of glue? I loved it.

PC also impressed with the excerpts I insisted on reading to him over the course of the next twenty-four hours, and quoted twice from it in his sermon this morning; one step nearer to being a lay preacher; bless.

He also used this Lily Allen song. They went together very well.

(Click picture for the song!)

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Interesting. And all the boys dancing in the background is funny.

Floss said...

I loved the tractors book so I'll need to look out for the other two - thanks for the reviews! And you won't believe this, but that's actually the first time I've SEEN Lily Allen - she's popular on French radio but we don't watch the TV much so she's always just been a voice, a name and a set of strong opinions to me! That's a good song with some clever lines (and yes, the boys dancing are fun, I agree!)

Floss said...

PS Yes you can staple oilcloth to shelves!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I've never heard of this writer, but you make her sound very intriguing!

I love having reading weeks. I need one of those. I need some good novels. I haven't read the new Ian McEwan yet, and I do love him, even if he is an atheist (oh, admit it, I love Christopher Hitchens, too, and I pray for him all the time).

Oh, dear, I'm sorry my post made you feel inadequate. It's supposed to make you feel desperately adequate. I will tell worse stories on Will if you like. There are so many to choose from!

xofrances

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/doyle.htm
Hi here is the link (above)to the Doyel's intrest. (it's actually on the fairy ring post too) And I will post the book that I think your wondering about at the bottom of my post in a few minutes, cause I wanted to add some more books anyway;-) Hugs from Linnie

GretchenJoanna said...

I will have to watch that video a few times so I can write down the great lines that popped out at me. Just the title is going to stick in my head forever. :-)

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, I see, the title of the song is not Weapon of Mass Consumption -- but that was the phrase that caught my attention.